post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here are mine before we did anything to them. I have two outside runs like the one in the picture, and have added a big pen onto the building, this was before we had chickens so it was still a mess..

I've been "talking" to my dh about using parts of the kids backyard playground as another chicken coop.They had outgrown it. Today we were taking off some bush cuttings to the treeline so I stopped at the playground on the way back up to the house......told him I wanted to get his "thoughts and advice on the "possibilities" of a coop and how he would do it. (LOL) Got to go about this from that direction with him. He is not a chicken person! I've been talking about this for a while ..trying to get him used to the idea. He is not the type to pick up a hammer or saw. (I do that and always have!) Well, "we" decided which part would be good to use and how to go about it. But then I found out that he was (for some reason) thinking that this would not be an additional coop but an "instead of" coop!!!! LOLOL And I thought I was the one who caught on more slowly!!! Actually, he is very smart....just not about things he doesn't want to really "see" or acknowledge. As I said, he is not a "chicken" person. But at least he will now know what I'm doing when I'm driving in with a couple of 4x4's and some plywood hanging out of my car. I'm going to disassemble the ramp at the other end and use those 1x6's

in the structure. So, you all say a little prayer as I start to build a second small coop.

@jtbass2756 - OMG! Your hubby sounds JUST like mine with regards to the way you "approach" the chicken subject with him, lol. Luckily mine is great with tools and woodworking, otherwise my hens would be homeless if it were up to my skills. :p

@jtbass2756 - OMG! Your hubby sounds JUST like mine with regards to the way you "approach" the chicken subject with him, lol. Luckily mine is great with tools and woodworking, otherwise my hens would be homeless if it were up to my skills.
tongue.png
Suppose to rain tomorrow but when it starts to clear, I'm going to begin to take things apart..I need to get the 2 4x4's and get the extra A-frame legs done. Will have to measure the angles of the top part and also get a "ditch" dug to allow for the posts and for the 1/4" hardware wiring.......Its going to happen, one way or another!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Nice idea having a roof where you pick up the eggs, Keep the rain off yourself whilst picking up the eggs.

Yes it is. Hubby and contractor friend (who you would think would think of that before hand) changed my drawing/plans. They decided to put the slope of the roof facing south (possible future solar panels). The people door and egg door are on the south wall too. If it's raining,or when there's a signifigant ice/snow load coming down, I get to feel it on my head gathering eggs or trying to get into the coop for feed or other things. Roof was built in such a way that the tin is just hanging over the edge of the ceiling so now way to put a gutter & downspout.

CG

Here's the one we've got in the backyard:

The only thing that was bought 'as is' is obviously the hutch on the left. But we removed part of it to attach it to the larger coop, my Dad built that but as part of a Nativity scene (my family is huge into putting Christmas lights up and doing the house up for Christmas), so we just re-purposed it into the main coop area. It's tall/big enough to stand and walk around in.

Then the part to the right of that is the smaller coop, not attached to the main coop as yet as my two girls in there have yet to meet our free-ranging girls face-to-face without wire in the way. But my partner built that completely (entire coop + hutch) from wooden pallets, a gate and a table that we found all on the side of the street as part of the neighbourhood council trash pick-up. That section is large enough for me to sit in quite comfortably with my girls, which I do often with a magazine or book to read.

In about two weeks maybe, we'll remove the wire in between the coops to make one big one. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom