post your chicken coop pictures here!

My husband built this about 3 years ago. We have added a smaller size pen and house to the side of it. When we need to separate a sick hen or something.
Do you share the plans for your run? I'm looking to build something like yours but I'm very much a beginning builder.

I have a few things to do including painting and putting up the fence but the coop is almost done.

okay, guys, We have our coop built, now we just have to fill in some holes with caulk and put the chicken fencing up, but I need ideas on what sort of door to build for the chickens...the kind of predators we have a things like eagles/hawks, snakes, cats and very rarely foxes. what would be the best sort of door? pulley sort of thing or lock with a deadbolt
tongue.png
? gimme some ideas!

This is our coop- we built it two years ago. We have three Wyandotte's that are two years old and just put the five week old Buff Orpington's in the run a few nights ago. We have the section under the coop barricaded so the older hens can see the chickies but not get at them. The chickies were getting too big for the brooder so we had to relocate them! Lol. The nights have been cool- low 40's, so we have the heat lamp out there for them and have plastic around the outside to keep the draft.
So far the coop has been perfect!

i would like a slightly larger coop in hopes that once my chicks slow down their laying i can add another 4-6 chicks. however, my husband wants to build the 4x8 coop with the shed roof leaving me enough room for up to 8, maybe 10 if i build an exterior laying box leaving more square footage inside the coop. i guess we can always add more down the road. i am starting out with 6 chicks. it will be enough room for now. we will be outside all day tomorrow getting this project done. wish me luck!

i would like a slightly larger coop in hopes that once my chicks slow down their laying i can add another 4-6 chicks. however, my husband wants to build the 4x8 coop with the shed roof leaving me enough room for up to 8, maybe 10 if i build an exterior laying box leaving more square footage inside the coop. i guess we can always add more down the road. i am starting out with 6 chicks. it will be enough room for now. we will be outside all day tomorrow getting this project done. wish me luck!

I went with a 4x8 tractor. It's kind of a split level. I have feed and water on one end, nesting buckets on the other end. Above all of this are "poop trays" and above it all is 21' of roosts. I have a trap door that leads to a 4x8 grazing area underneath. I'll try to take pictures of the layout. I know 4x8 isn't enough grazing room for 5 chickens. I'm hoping for 8-10 chickens once the grazing issue is settled. I'm starting to let them graze in the yard with the dogs some. If that doesn't work out, I'll make a portable 8x10 pen to mate to the tractor so I can move it all over the yard with the tractor. That will give me 112 s.f. of grazing.

okay, guys, We have our coop built, now we just have to fill in some holes with caulk and put the chicken fencing up, but I need ideas on what sort of door to build for the chickens...the kind of predators we have a things like eagles/hawks, snakes, cats and very rarely foxes. what would be the best sort of door? pulley sort of thing or lock with a deadbolt
tongue.png
? gimme some ideas!

Whatever choices/options are available to you, always choose the most secured, protected, predator-proof option you can afford. Our run is a heavy-duty dog kennel run with a giant nut-and-screw bolt about 3/4 inch thick.

Looks similar to this:

Back
Top Bottom