post your chicken coop pictures here!

My 17 hens have been in the new hen house and run for a month now. They went from four separate groups in four tractors, to one big group, not without some drama, and bullying, which has been solved with Pinless Peepers on the most aggressive. Now, all have figured out their place in the flock and I am enjoying the new area as much, maybe more, than they are. The landscape on the east side of the run is done, the garden on the west side [not pictured] is planted. I am very happy with the first grazing frames, 16 feet, and recently added an additional 15 feet, x 24 inches wide. The last project is to pour and lay stone at the Coop Door.

For more details on the building and finishing of the hen house, or grazing frames, see my blog, http://chick-a-doodles.blogspot.com/

Electric fence surrounds the run.

If you have any questions, please ask!
Love love such an excellent job.Couldn't get the link on your blog to see more pictures to work.Just me perhaps . Didn't hold my mouth right perhaps Lol
lau.gif

Sylvester 017: I have had the pinless peepers on some of the girls for four-five weeks now (the most aggressive, who would attack and injure the most submissive, who would squat down and be pecked severely.) The most they do now is briefly peck at whoever has offended them and give chase for about 3 feet at best. Whether this actually changes their behavior after a while, I cannot say. I guess I will find out one day! -Donna

If you have any questions, please ask!

Again - lovely plan!!! QUESTION - For the nestboxes did you use the Homz brand stacking totes? I use the smaller Homz stacking totes as nestboxes in the indoor chicken hospital pen. They have a removable lid, are already cut out at the side, and have a nice wide lip for the Silkie to stand on before entering the tote. I never tried the larger Homz tote but I love these smaller ones.

1e78aab8-1dd7-44c6-9222-70df37f8b402_1.667a411223618cb13624c8870ef5678b.jpeg

Sylvester 017: I have had the pinless peepers on some of the girls for four-five weeks now (the most aggressive, who would attack and injure the most submissive, who would squat down and be pecked severely.) The most they do now is briefly peck at whoever has offended them and give chase for about 3 feet at best. Whether this actually changes their behavior after a while, I cannot say. I guess I will find out one day! -Donna

Aggressive hens seldom change behavior if the flock dynamics remain the same. I've had to re-home our most aggressive bullies - hated to because I was attached but I couldn't stand seeing docile Silkies and Ameraucanas getting their crests and beards yanked out or gentle Breda chased by the crazy ones - it's also a contagious behavior that makes others pick up the mean behavior. I've eliminated all my heavier dual purpose breeds and opted for medium or lightweight gentle breeds. Just next week I'm expecting a shipment of two more docile Breda juveniles. The Breda surprised us with their good production and friendly docile temperament so I don't miss the eggs from the re-homed dual purpose hens.

Beautiful but extremely aggressive Buff Leghorn had to be re-homed at one year old.

Heavy Cuckoo Marans and White Leghorn had to be re-homed because of bully issues.

Love these sweet Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas but their thick feathering doesn't do well in my SoCal heatwave climate.

Cuckoo Breda - another sweet gentle breed - no comb but they have vulture hocks and feathered feet.

The docile Cuckoo Breda with gentle Silkies

A Blue Breda - a gentle flockmate with the alpha Silkie

Back
Top Bottom