post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA

$130 from pallets? Show off! This looks amazing. I had to keep zooming in on my iPhone because I could not believe how good it looks (especially being built from pallets!!!) whoaaaa!

1 person likes this.
  2. highrolla1969

highrolla1969 Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2014
    lake luzerne NY
    Ty so very much, I had to tear apart about 20 pallets to get the good wood. The pallets are free to us, we had to buy some 2x4s and plywood and the windows were sitting on the side of the road so thoes are free, the roofing was a tin roof I paid $5 for 6 prices of it. Inside is 8x10 outside is 10x10 I house 12 chicks in it and tomorrow I need to make the run for them.

3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Sounds like normal flock politics. All your breeds are Heavy LF so doesn't sound like you have any lightweight or smaller breeds to get bullied when they all reach adulthood at around 2 years.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Boy that must've been a challenge building that cute coop on a steep slope. Such talented builders!

You may want to channel some type of drainage system around the coop for the hard rain days so you aren't standing in a stream when collecting eggs. Extend the roof line over the nestboxes so the boxes don't get rained on when the lid is open - you are so creative and probably can model an attractive extension or awning!

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    My daughter's property is butted up against a wild nature preserve and reports of Coyotes and a Mountain Lion concerned them. So son-in-law set up a night vision camera and they were shocked at all the wild life that passed their iron bar fence looking for ways to break in. Deer, Rabbits, Weasel, Skunks, Rattlesnakes, Raccoons, Pack of Coyotes, Bobcat, stray Dogs, Rats, Oppossums and don't remember what else. No Mountain Lion however - whew! Their neighbor saw a Bobcat trotting down the neighborhood street midday with something that looked like a housecat or a rabbit in its jaws.

We on the other hand had a Black Bear juvenile who came down from the mountain behind us and found a backyard swimming pool to enjoy. He was caught by Rangers and re-homed several hundred miles away and so far no Bears here for the last two years. As mankind expands into surrounding nature it has to be expected that at some point we'll be visited by something dangerous to our flocks. Even in the city someone's lost pet Boa Constrictor can be a danger to our domestic flock. Being in a city neighborhood I never expected chicken hawks but one visits my yard regularly every week but our girls have a lot of shelters, canopies, shrubs, and doghouses to dive for cover.

Your setup looks like a Bear would make a lot of racket if he tried to break in. You've done your best short of building iron bars around the pen. My daughter and son-in-law built their iron bar fence when they first moved in and from their night camera pics it was worth their investment.

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Awww! Go ahead and spoil them. Our days are hot and humid lately and the girls appreciate those cold juicy treats.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Good to know that. We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of just how much we would really need the wheels before we spend the $$$ for them.

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Sounds like it's grand having this hobby! Keeps you busy.

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

@Sylvester017 I have to ask, after following this thread for a while, how much rain are you getting there? I thought Cali was supposed to be all sun, sand and scantily clad women running about. I may have been slightly misinformed by American TV-programming, but still, I thought California was a pretty dry place?

10. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Very resourceful and nice looking pallet coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by