post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    My Pops was a stickler for getting heritage purebreeds in livestock/poultry so I never had Cinnamon Queens, EEs, or any hybrid/sexlinks. After the bad experience my egg-seller friend had with her hybrids/sexlinks I don't plan to try them. From what I understand the hybrids are pretty mellow so probably understandable why your EEs were more active around them. EEs and Ameraucanas are high-strung fowl - friendly, kooky, cuddly, talkative, but definitely hyper-alert, klutzy, jittery types. Love them because as an active breed they are not flighty and stay put in the yard. They are so hardy, predator savvy, seem to enjoy human company, coo or talk with you, sleep in your arms, let you pet them, terrific layers, and non-broody. In fact 3 of our 4 hens went broody this year (including the Buff Leghorn!) except not the Ameraucana. She was the only one giving us eggs in winter and eggs while everyone else went broody. She's our Star in the flock and pet friendly too.

A lot of times the typical nature of a breed can alter depending on the surrounding breeds and ages in the flock mix. Example: we no longer keep fowl over 5-lb and only gentle natured friendly breeds with our 2.5-lb Silkies so they don't get bullied. We had to rehome a vicious bully 7-lb Marans and an aggressive White Leghorn who both became excessively domineering over the rest of the gentle flock. Normally the Marans and White Leghorn are quiet or mind-their-own-business types but in our particular flock mix it was too tempting for them to bully the smaller gentler birds.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    ;You've done a great job with your design, but I fear that the 2" x 4" welded wire will not be strong enough against predators like raccoons. Question: did you bury your wire down/out at the bottom?

3. recfsh

recfsh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Some pics of our build and upgrades. Material for the coop was form three large wood shipping containers. Bought an open bag of shingles from Lowes and a couple of sheets of exterior grade pressed panels and paint.

One of my daugher and her friend helping out in the early stages
    Spring 2012...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spring 2014...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A little antique character...
    [​IMG]
    My inspiration...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    This is a setup that will be functional for years to come and the initial investment will be a memory of the past in no time. Security is a major issue and you worked at using heavy duty materials. We on this thread all go for the 1/2 inch wire against critters like rats, snakes, weasels, but it takes baby steps and $$$ at adding to coops as we go along. It usually doesn't take any of us long before we find what critters are the problems around our flock and deal with it. The hardwire can be attached right over existing wire and will reinforce against the critters just mentioned.

Your gate area can easily be fixed by using paver stones in a 3x3 foot square under the door to prevent digging critters. Or if you really wanted to bury heavy cinder blocks below the surface under the gate and use the blocks like paver stones as you walk in and out of the pen.

Your coop looks great. And many of us are hoping to see you eventually able to add some hardwire too.

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Great coop expansion!

Are you ready? Here goes - Many of us on here will say use 1/2" hardwire at least along the bottom half of the pen to keep out rats, snakes, weasels, raccoons, etc. It can be attached right over the existing 2x4 wire on the pen.

Glad to see you giving the chickens a lot more room.

6. dharmasister

dharmasister Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Okay, so here's what we've got for girl's so far. We still need to build the run, do a little landscaping and I have some decorating to do, but we're coming along with it and the girls seem happy so far.
    [​IMG] We start with our raggedy tool shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]. DH gave it a good pressure washing.

[​IMG]. Theses two photos are switched - here it is in its final spot. The next photo shows how the guys rolled from it's original place in the yard to where we wanted it. DH put PVC pipes under it and we pulled/pushed it into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Next I gave it a good cleaning out.

[​IMG]. DH added holes for ventilation, screened them with hardware cloth and added louvers. He added a little side door for the girls to get in and out of the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]. He built a screen door for the front.

[​IMG]. DH built a shelf and nesting boxes.

[​IMG]. I built a ramp for them. It can get kinda hot in Louisiana so we've got a shop fan in there for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]. I want to screen in the area beneath the shelf to use as a chicken jail/quarantine space so that when I introduce new chickens to the flock they can spend some time in the same area getting used to each other.

[​IMG]. This is how I want the run to look when we get it done.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

That looks like a well ventilated coop. You might want to consider putting diagonal braces on the doors, looks like a bit of weight on them.

8. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    California is bigger than Finland!
    Finland's total area is 337,030 km2
    California's total area is, 423,970 km2

I don't know where Sylvester lives in Southern California to get so much rain, I'm guessing up in the San Gabriel mountains. Your image is at least partly correct, most of southern and central California would be a dry brush wasteland were it not for irrigation and residential sprinklers. It is cooler and wetter up in the Sierra Nevada mountains and north up along the coast near and north of San Francisco.

Here is a link to an average rain map: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/pcpn/ca.gif

As far as the scantily clad women, that would be mostly on the beaches of SOUTHERN California. It is not particularly warm at the beaches in San Francisco. The average high in the hottest month is < 70F (21C) and it is cooler at the beach with the wind blowing off the water. Now if by "scantily clad" you mean shorts and tee shirts, well, yeah, away from the coast in southern and central CA, even a couple of miles, it can be hotter than hades so not a lot of long sleeves and pants being worn except when necessary. It was 115F (46C) 3 days the week I moved from So Cal to Vermont 35 years ago. The flip side is that 50F (10C) is MIGHTY COLD in So Cal requiring a winter coat. It is all relative.

BTW, looks like you are having a scorcher today! Stay cool.

Super!

9. dharmasister

Apr 30, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana

10. dharmasister

Apr 30, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Love the antique lights

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by