post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Have the pullets in training to free range inside my five foot chain linked fenced back yard (2 acres) during day and locked up at times when not at home in run, and locked up in coop at night. They are doing great so far.

2. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    That is very nice Joel. The landscaping ties look great and will serve the purpose of keeping bums like raccoons from reaching in to snag a bird by the wall.

Is that run door glass/plexi or are you messing with us and it isn't quite done yet? I see what looks like "swivel" catches in 3 places. You might need to put a slide bolt that can be locked (with a lock or carabiner) down low so the door can't be pulled open at the bottom since the wood blockes will loosen up in time.
    The 1x3 wire on the coop openings is good unless you have small weasels like ermine, those beautiful little chicken blood suckers can get in a really small space.

I would suggest hanging the food and water, it looks like you are still using the ones from the brooder. I use those in the broody box now (WAY more often than I would like!!). They spill less food if it is about head high and they won't get as much junk in the water. If you have been reading through this thread, you will know I am using saddle nipples in a 3/4" PVC pipe connected to an insulated drink cooler - need it for winter time and no sense having two. Originally I had it 'piped' via clear tubing to a regular 5 gallon bucket

How much coffee do they drink a day (or is it tea?) and do they make it themselves or do you have to? [​IMG]
    Hmmm and a path of strawberry tops on the ramp, your birds have it GOOD!

Silver laced Wyandottes and an EE??

2 people like this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    LOVE the colors!!!

4. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    That looks quite nice and my daughter would TOTALLY approve of the color.

Seems time to buy your pavers elsewhere or maybe find a time when HD is not busy because there is NO reason they shouldn't help load. Some people go out of their way to be helpful and some slack if they can. Maybe ask at the service desk and get a manager if necessary. I really don't think management wants people getting less than 100% satisfactory service.

A non BYC aside, though related: I bought a new garden tractor at Sears 3 weeks ago after tiring of fussing with the 19 Y/O one I had every time I needed to use it. I showed up at 6:15 on Sunday night to look in person at the one I was interested in, they close at 6:30. I left at 7:30 after lots of discussion about the tractor including them figuring out how to get it delivered earlier than next Monday (when I will be gone) and the grass would have been a foot higher. I didn't even realize how late it had gotten. Can't ask for better service.

The instructions say there is a center wheel for the mowing deck the buyer needs to put on. I had a bolt and nut but no wheel and ASSUMED they had put it on and those were spare parts. I had purchased the mulching kit (different blades and a cover to replace the side chute) but didn't use it the first 3 times (3 different areas on 3 different days) because the grass at 18" was WAY too tall to mulch. Actually it was way too tall for anything but a brush hog, but I took it slow and only about a foot per pass and the tractor did the job.

I saw there was no wheel in the front center of the deck when I put on the mulching kit and mowed all three areas once a week later. OK, missing non critical part, will have to get one.

Showed my DW how to run the tractor Sunday. She mowed lawns in the summer WAY back when she was in high school, including one property where the guy had a riding mower so it wasn't all new to her, just refresher and current technology. I was showing her how the wash out port works when she was done and noticed the back rubber strap on the deck cover of the mulching kit was gone, screw pulled right out of the plastic. I'm not real surprised since there is no washer on the inside of the plastic piece and there was a LOT of pull needed to get it connected (Design flaw in my estimation). Don't know if the strap got snagged on something and pulled out or just went from the tension. Don't even know WHEN it "left". Neither of us remember catching the right side of the deck on anything Sunday so it might not have been there when she started.

Now this one IS critical, if that cover goes off, you are looking down at the open deck over one half of a rapidly spinning blade. So off to Sears I went yesterday. First guy listened, then passed me off to a girl who was more familiar or senior, and could deal with things other than "I want to pay for this" I don't know. In any case I explained the issues. She was able to order the wheel, the rubber strap, a lock washer and the nut but for some bizarre reason, not the screw or flat washer - not available. AND it would take a month to get the wheel. So, did she say "that sucks but it is the best we can do"? NO! She got some wrenches from the store shelves and took a wheel off the mower on display and took the parts I needed for the mulching kit out of a NEW IN THE BOX kit. I asked how I could make sure the company knew what great service I had received. She asked if I had filled out the survey when I bought the mower (web site on the receipt). YES! how could I NOT given the great service?? OK, can't do that but the department manager was there for about the last 10 minutes of this whole process (he was part of the initial sale as well) so I said, "Well, Ben will make sure it is known how far above 'expectation' you went". Out I walked with my parts, a VERY satisfied customer.

And the guys at HD can't bother to spend a couple of minutes loading a few pavers? No employee of the month for them.

Bruce

1 person likes this.
  5. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    we have foxes, deer, possems, you name it we have it, we will have the fence buried and I am not sure what else he is going to do with bottom, we do know we have to do something at the gate, that is where they always get in as for the amount of chickens we have had them for years, when children were small they wanted a few so we got a few, lol ended up with 75 after they started haven babies, now we are alone just me and dh and I found a chicken in a field covers with snow, it fell off a truck. so I went back and got it, that was 6 yrs ago she had to have a friend so we got 20 hens then got one roo and off we went, only had something get chickens twice in all that time.

6. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] You never can rid of the "want" to keep chickens, eh??!!!

8. jtc123

jtc123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Greenville N.C.
    [​IMG]

I took sky's advice and put something to reinforce the chicken wire all around the coop. I chose this white PVC fencing I got from Lowe's hardware store. It's user friendly won't rust or rot easy to clean and is pretty indestructible. A little pricy but I'm already over budget on the chicken coop project. This new house is wonderful but I'm glad to be retired and have a few basic skills which the chickens and dog's appreciate.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. waynem1983

waynem1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    Gloucestershire, England
    [​IMG]
    Simple hut, but they use it for sleeping, out from dawn till dusk.

This is the run:

[​IMG]

10. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Its nice to see pictures with a chair in the run, my neighbours think I'm mad but I love to sit and watch them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by