post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote: Absolutely agree! You need to turn your 2 x 4's so they lay "flat"...much more comfortable for the birds, and during winter months they have the ability to sit down on their feet for warmth.

2. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Can I just clarify as I was thinking about perches
    They should be flat? Not tilted downwards?
    My first coop perches had nicely rounded edges
    My new ones are just square

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    FLAT... no angles...just plain 'ol FLAT. [​IMG]

4. 1chief

1chief Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Yulee fl
    Ok I'm looking to sell a coop I'm building and I have no idea what's a fair price for this coop? It's 5'x3' with 6 nesting boxes it's not done yet but it will be off the ground a foot or two please someone let me know something [​IMG]

5. BlueChick62

BlueChick62 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    Chiefland, FL

As for price… I have no idea… but you should post it in the Florida thread… "Florida!!!!!Always sunny side up!!!" Finding someone close by will make a big difference.

6. Hi again everybody. We're making (SLOW) progress on the chicken house expansion project. All the materials for the run are out and ready to go, and we finally finished our little homemade addition to the coop kit. Everything is slow going when you have a toddler and just the two of us to build/look after her. We plan on getting the run started tomorrow, and hopefully using our guest's spare hands on Father's day (having a cookout) to get it put together. We can do the 4 panels before that. The digging and leveling and skirting can be done once the run is knocked together. Hopefully we will be able to move it back and forth with just two of us.

[​IMG]

The boards are shrinking, we will have to put strips of wood over the cracks this fall.

[​IMG]

I was expecting a huge disaster, but our expansion came out OK. The front part is the kit. This view is from the back/side.
    [​IMG] Matilda approves!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. DSTchickencraze

DSTchickencraze Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Concord, NC
    If only you weren't in Florida! I have some Chocolate Orps on the way and need a separate coop for them and I've been looking for one! Or build one, if nothing is too complicated (and not outrageously expensive).

And can anyone give me any ideas on how to build a good chick run? We've got some Jersey Giant chicks and some Orpington chicks, and also some Welsummer chicks on the way. But we are running out of room for chicks. We need a sturdy little run for them, but preferably nothing too expensive.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    FABULOUS ROOF OVERHANG - JUST FABULOUS - AND GOOD GOING ON THE PAVERS. WHEN YOU CAN GET THE $$$ MAKE A SECOND PAVER ROW AROUND THE FIRST ROW YOU HAVE ALREADY SET DOWN. BESIDES MAKING IT HARDER FOR DIGGING PREDATORS IT'LL MAKE A NICE DRY WALKWAY FOR YOU DURING A RAIN. I HAVE PAVER AREAS AROUND OUR COOP FROM 3 FEET WIDE TO 5 FEET WIDE BECAUSE I HATE WALKING IN MUD. IN FACT I HAVE THE COOP SKIDS SET ON OUR PAVER STONES ALL AROUND BUT LEFT THE INSIDE OF THE COOP AS A DIRT FLOOR. I FIGURED MIGHT AS WELL KEEP THE SKIDS OFF THE GROUND AS WELL

FABULOUS!

9. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    WAY TO GO! WITH THE COOP INSIDE THE PEN! LOVE THE PERCH AREA INSIDE THE PEN. NICE AND ROOMY.

NOT TOO SURE ABOUT THE POULTRY WIRE ON THE PEN'S ROOF THOUGH. DOGS CAN'T GET TO IT TO MANGLE IT BUT THOSE 'COONS ARE CLEVER AND POULTRY WIRE IS FLIMSY - IT'LL KEEP THE CHICKENS FROM FLYING OUT BUT IT WON'T KEEP CLEVER CRITTERS FROM FINDING A WEAK SPOT INTO THE PEN..

10. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Thank you so much. We did the same thing with the pavers, have them all the way around under the skids. And hardware cloth attached all the way down as far as it will go covering them. The ground was not level so on the back part the pavers are dug down into the ground. That is why we put the gravel for helping with the drainage system. Do intend on getting more of the pavers and adding more rows. I got some of the solar garden lights and put them out there yesterday around the front. These chickens are going to have it better than we do!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by