post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014

2. dusica731

dusica731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Thank you! I hope my chickies love it as much as I do!

3. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    we have put most of the peeps in with the big girls as there was no room in the little run we had and lost one when it tried to get grass got caught in between the 2 fences, only have 5 left in sscreen house, but they have maybe 3 weeks before they can go in with other, so by then the new coop will be done and we will have 21 large in one coop and 28 in other coop.

1 person likes this.
  4. tatinatimom

tatinatimom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2014
    Tonganoxie, KS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I guess he IS a handy man!!

5. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not finished, obviously, but it is now secure, and functional. 22 nesting boxes, interior floor is 8'x12'. NESTING BOXES ARE 12"x16". I am disabled, and do not know construction, much. My friend who has been doing most of the work, for mostly free, has had paying work, for the past three weeks, and been unable to help. So, the job had stalled.
    We have 30 babies, due to arrive Monday, and that means this thing HAD TO BE FUNCTIONAL, by then. Especially because we have 13 turkey poults, and 9 guinea keets, all, about 5-6 weeks old, and they had definitely out grown, their grow out pens. The guineas will use the chain link pen, as their coop, and the smaller (10'x10') silver tin coop, seen in the background, in a photo, will be for the turkeys. They have a 35'x35' run, outside the coops, where both the chickens and turkeys can be kept under control. Though, we have been bringing the chickens out, to free range. I don't think that will be necessary, once we are able to let the guineas out to free range. I think they will do a great job, on pest control, and I'd rather know where my eggs are laid. Yesterday, we were due for two eggs, but the chickens were out free ranging, while construction was going on, and I think the two girls who were likely to lay eggs, probably laid them in the woods.
    So, my nephew, who is also out of work, came over yesterday, to help with a few chores, that needed a second set of hands, saw what needed to be done, and we put our heads together, and decided to take a stab at getting it completely functional. 7 hours of hard work later, we had the chores done, and the new coop, functional, and mostly secure. Small snakes can still get in, but they would have to be small enough, to be looked at, by the Australorps and brown Leghorn, as food. Now, when my buddy has the time, we can add the finishing touches, to it, and have it looking good, too.
    I do need to add lighting, roosts, and doors under the nesting boxes, where the brooder/grow out pens, are planned, as well as some straw and wood chips, today, or tomorrow. But, I am so happy to get everyone into secure coops. I doo want to wire up a bit more tin, to the chain link pen, for shade, from the hot afternoon sun.
    Also, if anyone has suggestions, for improvements, I am open to ideas.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks solid and secure! That's the important thing. Details later. Could their ramp up to the nesting boxes be a little wider?

7. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it will be. I was experimenting with some scrap I had from construction. They actually don't like that side of the coop for some reason. They jump up onto the feed bin, then into the nesting boxes, from there. But, yes, as I get recovered for the work yesterday, likely in the morning, tomorrow, I'll be building the brooder a, and should be able to get those ladders built a bit better.

8. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Tell me what you used for the roof...please. I'm getting ready to go pick up some roofing panels and don't know which ones to get with consideration to the heat.[​IMG]

9. dusica731

dusica731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014

We used transparent fiber glass roofing. It allows the sunlight in to provide heat in the coop :)

10. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    [​IMG][​IMG]The back and side of the apartments. I had single bachelor sections in mind when beginning but since each 'apartment' is a bit over three feet a few growing chicks or an injured chicken could occupy one as needed. Not real sure about one-on-one matings though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by