post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Wonderful project build, Nice gentle wide sloping ramp with an excellent large cleanout door. Seeing the roost I'm thinking it's nice and natural but a bit too narrow for full sized hens. I hope you plan to put hardwire 1/2-inch over that flimsy poultry wire. Dogs broke into our yard and that poultry wire mangles and separates from itself quickly and if not for a good neighbor would have lost our flock. The dogs couldn't dig under our paver stones so decided to chew/claw through the poultry wire which was easy for them. Have a latch to keep the chicken pop-door open as the wind kept blowing ours shut and we had to latch it to keep it open. Put a paver stone walkway, cinderblocks, or heavy rock boulders around the base of the pen to discourage digging predators like raccoons or DIGGING stray mutts that break into the yard. Building projects with chickens is a constant ongoing thing. We've done so many changes and improvements with just our little 4x6 and spent so much money including vet bills that our eggs are costing us about $36/dozen LOL

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Don't take the poultry wire down and just attach the hardwire right over it. That's nice to have all that free help. When my kids were little a teenager next door gifted us with a NHR hen and proceeded to build her pen for us as a gift too. It was only about 3x3 feet but tall enough to walk into and the NHR free-ranged days anyway.

3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Very nice.

Teeny Tiny suggestion. Put a paver stone walkway, cinderblocks, or rock boulders around the base of the pen to discourage digging predators. We had a couple large stray mutts break into our yard and the paver stone walkway kept them from digging under.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I thought maybe with a nice large portable like yours it would have less problems than those smaller low-to-the-ground ones. Since mutts broke into our yard I'm more leery of them than of the wild outdoor critters. If not for a wide paver stone pathway around the coop and a good neighbor we would've lost our flock.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote: Absolutely agree! I have Black Australorps...they are only 12-13 weeks old and already huge! The ramp in that pic is way too steep for large breeds, and you might make it wider while you're at it. Best of luck to you!

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote: Had to laugh at your post! My friends and family all think I'm insane with the money I've spent so far on my little flock. But I just smile at them.....and say....."yeah, but they'll be the yummiest $1,000 eggs I'll ever eat!!" [​IMG]

7. You could make an L-shaped "handicapped" ramp for those big uns. Lots of room to walk up and sturdy too.

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    An L-shapped ramp with a landing in the middle would be good like the photo in Post #3655 on this thread.

9. hahaha! I thought that sounded familiar as I was typing it. It just popped into my head not realizing I had seen it earlier in the thread. Oops.

10. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Good idea on the old shed. If so, do the deep litter. Search at the top for the deep litter thread. Also, consider fermenting your feed. It cuts down on the stinky poo smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by