post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I love the security of putting coops inside pens. I saw that cute red coop before and it's nice to see it in use to give size perspective. And the new build is sweet. Chainlink ever so much sturdier than poultry wire. Wouldn't keep out snakes but if you don't have them in your area than no problem. What's being used as roof material? Is it wired or a soft top? Good use of property boulders for the base. I like the look of rock borders.

3. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    The 2x4 around the perimeter does not allow a dog to use it's nose as a wedge like under a regular fence, where he digs a little and wedges the fence up a little. Also he cannot pick this coop up with his nose. He will have to dig his entire body depth and length to get in. At night when fox and raccoons are out, the chickens are up in the elevated decks and roost and the predators cannot hear or see them. We check our coops each day for digging, or signs of attempted entrance and take appropriate action when needed.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    For not being finished yet it is a wonderful project. We aren't necessarily disabled but we are old and such a task we couldn't do!

When modifying your ramp wider, you may want to make it less steep. Those are heavy Australorps (?) and it's no wonder they aren't using the skinny steep ramp. Chickens like secure footing. Later you'll have older or disabled chickens that will need to use a secure gentle sloping ramp. And don't forget to have a paver stone or cinderblock border around the coop/run to protect from digging predators like stray dogs or raccoons.

You're mixing turkeys and chickens in the same run? My folks never had turkeys on the farm with chickens. Maybe someone on this thread can add to that knowledge of why turkeys should not mix with chickens in the same pen - something to do with some transferable bacteria?

Your nestboxes are pictured under open wire walls. Do you have a plan to protect from windblown rainy days so the box material doesn't get wet or the coop floor soaked? I realize you aren't done but I'm just asking.

A very nice project build.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Most of us will say that poultry wire has GOT to be overlaid with some sturdier hardwire. It will keep the chickens inside but not predators outside the coop. The roof looks like it could use a bit more securing down. Also needs boulder rocks, a paver stone walkway, or cinderblock border around the coop to discourage digging predators like stray dogs or raccoons. Might be small for matings but chicks or using as a hospital pen for an injured bird would be good as long as the injured bird didn't need 24/7 monitoring.

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Does the fiberglass roofing allow the coop to get overheated on heatwave days? I like the sunlight coming into the coop but we live in an arid region where that looks like it would get pretty hot inside the coop.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Beautiful reclaimed pieces of wood. It looks roomy. Do you have game breed chickens that your roosters are squabbling and need separation?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I don't have a 4 x 4 but have a 4 x 6. The roosting bar should not be over the nestboxes and should be raised higher than the nestboxes to discourage nestbox roosting/sleeping for the night. The roosting bar should be flat side up of a 2x4 plank or as bruceha says a 3" round redwood post. Most perch placements I've seen are near the chicken pop door. You have a small 4x4 space so placement anywhere in the coop should be okay as long as not over the nestboxes and placed higher than the boxes but allow good headroom for the chickens when they stand on the perch. Hope this helps.

9. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    What poop? I do deep litter and fermented feed. The poop just dissolves into the litter. No smell. I have an open coop dog kennel style 7.5' x 12' and they love it . If you're ever interested I'll put a site that can answer all questions.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

10. donniek

donniek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Central Arkansas
    That helps a lot... I think I'm going to up-size to a 4X6 or 4XX8 foot coop with an 8 foot run (tractor style). I want about 6 laying hens and enough room to access the coop for proper cleanings. my landlady has an old shed that is around 8X10 foot so I might renovate that for ra9ising some meat birds. I''m going to make an elevated coop with a 24" space enclosed on 3 sides for feeders and water sources. My design is evolving, so today I had the privilege of throwing away the drawings I made a few days ago and started over from scratch :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by