post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

Indeed on the coons. They can get to 40 lbs as an adult. 25 lbs. is quite common. And yeah, they will kill for the pleasure of it. I had a coon kill three and devour only one of them, leaving the other two just laying.

2. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Lost 6 out of 9 night before last...Partially my fault since I had them in kennels while waiting patiently for my coop to be finished..was promised the coop before I got them. WORD TO THE WISE: DO NOT BUY EVEN KEETS UNTIL YOU HAVE A SAFE PLACE FOR THEM.!! You may find you can't count on them, even though they promised! I cried all day Saturday....thought I had them staked enough, covered enough, even had windows strapped over the door area.. Only found one head, no bodies, lots of feathers...no innards...lots of bent wire...all my windows were broken, a 40 lb bale of peat moss pulled away from the back of the cages. !! I haven't seen any dogs around but know of some of them on up the road. Just heard that there are more than the average coyotes, raccoons, etc. What's not funny is that I made the statement that "I haven't seen any bunny rabbits in our back yard all day." Usually, I say that, "as long as I see the bunnies....I figure my chickens are safe!" Should have listened to my own feelings!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  3. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

There is no such thing as using too much or too strong of fencing. And you can't leave a single weak spot.

I see some of these coops with nothing but a covering of chicken wire and I'm thinking they are only one night away from a bunch of mangled chickens and they don't even know it.... Just like I was.

1 person likes this.
  4. chikmagnet69

chikmagnet69 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Va.
    I built a hoop coop using 1/2" hardware cloth...a neighbors lab stopped by for a visit one night. Happy to say all 8 girls are still clucking. My neighbor next door not so lucky, he lost 7 hens..."lab + poultry wire = dead chicks"

1 person likes this.
  5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    YAY for 1/2" hardware cloth!!!!! People think I'm crazy for ranting and raving about using strictly hardware cloth on their coops and runs....just goes to show, eh?!! [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. chikmagnet69

chikmagnet69 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Va.
    I purchased the hardware cloth at a local ag store...it was half the price if not more, than lowes or home depot. I couldn't beleive it. So what did I do...I went back for more...lol

1 person likes this.
  7. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    How about a rifle instead? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    You see, Bruce, the sad thing is that you don't know you have Raccoons until you get chickens. When I house-sat my daughter's place last 2 weeks there was a giant male Coyote, Jackrabbits, dog killed an Oppossum in the yard, and a Raccoon pulled down a HUGE trash can and trash was strewn across the entire yard - I think the dog would've tangled with it if I hadn't happened to bring her in the house when it showed up - I wasn't going to have either the dog or myself tangle with that enormous bugger.

We never knew in the 25 years we lived on our city street that we had any kind of wildlife - UNTIL we got the chickens and those d**n goat-sized 'Coons crawl out of the storm drains. They're out in broad daylight - we see them on the open golf course all the time a mile away from us which is not distant for wildlife. Saw another road-kill Oppossum yesterday so they're out there even if you don't think you have them. It's sad to find out that netting doesn't work against them. Just sayin'.

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I started thinking if something similar to what was on the Berlin wall would work, those huge round pipes on top. They don't offer any grip either.

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Hi all you chickeneers -

Thanks for posting and re-inforcing our statements to use 1/2 inch hardwire to cover coops and forget that nasty waste of money poultry wire which is just folded into itself and not even interlinked so the slightest push on it makes it come apart and bend easier than a straw. A couple mutts broke into our yard and mangled poultry wire with their teeth and claws - if not for a Good Samaritan neighbor I would've lost my flock. Poultry wire is barely sufficient for keeping chickens INSIDE and certainly not for keeping predators OUTSIDE!!!

Hurray for all you hardwire-using chickeneers that realize the most expensive part of your coop/pen will be the secure hardwire !!! Even if you don't see them the wildlife predators can sniff out chickens more than a mile away and so-o-o much better to be safe than sorry!!! Can't afford the hardwire? Then you can't afford the chickens either. [​IMG]

Smiles - Syl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by