post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Raccoons have fine manipulative opposing thumb claws and climb everywhere very deftly - fences, wire, trees, etc. so netting over the top of the run is great against aerial predators but the 'Coons will have an easy go of getting into the coop through netting - just sayin'.

2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    LOVE the Breda photo of the C-130 with the ramp down [​IMG] - Breda was something I never considered until I started researching gentle small white egg-layers that WERE NOT assertive Mediterranean class and went WOW when I saw the Bredas - still a rare breed in the USA. The other gentle white egg-layer choices were Polish, Crevecoeur, and possibly Houdan but I didn't want any more crests/beards for now. Breda are slower to mature but that's what makes them hardier - the faster a bird matures (like Cornish X or Sexlink/hybrid layers) the more health problems develop. Plus the Breda boys are way bigger than the girls for the table if that's your preference to raise meat.

Besides the gentleness factor I wanted lighter weight birds to go easier on the feed bill. We bought 50# last time and think now we should only get a 20-25# bag because we serve it fermented with extra Brewers Yeast, Chia and Quinoa seeds, pulverized Pumpkin seed meat, Rolled Oats or Groats, Turmeric, etc so nutrients absorb better and therefore the hens eat/need less of it daily. Of course besides free-ranging and wild bird seed they get garden produce and extra fish/meats/Greek yogurt for daily supplementation treats. During the hot summer we don't feed the fatty foods like Sunflower seeds and use only 0% fat content Greek yogurt since it's not good for their liver to ingest too much fat in summer.

Let us know how the broody thing gets solved. A lot of people need to know not any one method is successful in breaking a broody. We tried several things with our Silkies like soaking their breasts in a tub of lukewarm/cool water so they spent an hour preening to forget they were broody, ice pack baggies or ice blocks in the nest (messy/wet for wood boxes), putting them in wire cages overnight off the ground/floor to cool them down overnight (no drafts), locking them out of the nestboxes, etc and no one method is foolproof if you have a determined broody. We let ours brood their empty nests with no eggs for up to 5 or 6 weeks which is the normal broody/chick raising time and then start using methods to lock them out of the nest area and keeping them out with the regular flock til they return to normal. Someone said their Grandma on the farm used to throw broodies in a gunny/flour sack and hang them on the clothesline overnight - how times have changed!

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  4. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Work in progress

[​IMG]

5. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Quite true.

I think IN GENERAL, the purpose of covering the run is to keep the arial predators out during the day as the chickens will be in the coop at night. I know it is possible a coon can be hunting during the day but I think that is unusual. Covering it with hardware cloth would necessitate having something to fasten it to along the edge of each "sheet" of wire so you don't have weak places where the pieces meet. More work and expense.

So unless there is evidence of them out and about during the day, I would have to go with the affordable covering option. [​IMG]

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Or then you can just put a roof on your run and have a nice, dry, hawk and coon free space [​IMG]

7. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    I wonder if a homemade coyote roller type thing would stop raccoons from climbing fences. The rollers spin so there isn't a handhold.

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You said that you were thinking of switching the roost so the wider portion is facing up....you really should do this. Why? Because chickens need the extra wide 'footing' so they will be more comfortable and during winter months they can lay down on their feet keeping them warm....best of luck!

9. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

Bravo!!

That is a lovely coop. And as you said, to be a pregnant woman with no building experience, I second that Bravo!!

Very well done. Everyone should have one of those in their back yard. I love the way you set it under the shade tree, and I'm sure your chickens do to!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

Very nice! Absolutely love it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by