post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    About 6 weeks ago, we made a trip to our local Peavey Mart to pick something up completely unrelated to chickens. Well, we happened to arrive there during the two days that they sell heritage chicks! After much deliberation, we returned later that day and chose 6 Barred Rocks, and 1 each of a Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red and a Brown Leghorn. I mean, we live on a farm - how hard can it be to set something up for chickens!? I'm sure many of us have said those words...and then realized how much work it really is!

We've re-homed 4 Roos and bought 3 Buff Orpingtons and 2 gold laced Wyandottes since then- along with a whole lot of construction!

We bought an 8x8 foot used mini- barn off of Kijiji and started renos. We added a window, made the door taller, re- sided with rough sawn lumber, painted the inside to brighten it up, added a chicken door and tunnel to the run, added a framed/hardware cloth roof to our former dog turned rabbit turned chicken run, put on a metal roof, and added a flower bed. We are still going to add eaves troughs but feel like we are just about there!

We have happy little pullets and love how this turned out!

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6441298/width/350/height/700
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6441336/width/350/height/700
    [/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Outstanding job!!!! [​IMG] Keep posting. Glad to have you.

3. peachysam

peachysam Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    We get it, you don't like chicken wire.

4. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks LindaB220! I'm not the addictive type but, holy moly, these chickens are awesome!:)

5. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

No. Do not like it for baseline protection at all. It is worthless.

But raccoons and other medium to large size predators love it. It works good for flossing the chicken feathers out of their teeth.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is chicken wire.......probably raccoons or a dog....it was a layer over hog wire....either way....they lost 6-8 silkies. I HATE CHICKEN WIRE TOO!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. peachysam

peachysam Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    Everyone's just on repeat I guess

8. LindaB220

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Bahahahahaha You will be.. Chicken math is in the air. I can't seem to stop. Ever since I got my incubator I've ordered 4 different batches. First I got 11 out of 14 super blue egg layers. 2nd batch I only hatched 1 ea of Basque and Coronation. Tom is sending more in Sept. Then I ordered another 15 super blue egg layers SBEL's and lastly (I haven't even told my family yet) I ordered 15 good White Plymouth Rocks. Couldn't turn them down. I've been searching for 9 mo for some that were good (not hatchery). Busy, busy, busy. [​IMG]

9. LindaB220

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Glad to have you. Some people are passionate about what they believe in. I learned my lesson. Enuf said. [​IMG]

10. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    [​IMG] @peachysam You'll get used to it after a bit [​IMG] Like present day TV... too many channels, all showing re-runs... [​IMG] Guess it's a case of folks not taking the time to read, so stuff has to be said over again. [​IMG] There IS a place for using chicken wire... just one... it's great for use when all your worrying about is keeping chickens (and only chickens) out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by