post your chicken coop pictures here!

:th [COLOR=FF0000]oh geez..got to make a list[/COLOR] !! When I come back from a cookout, I need to install my nest buckets that I spent the morning cutting and anchor them somehow.:idunno I forgot in my list of "to do" things...I'm putting in the floor covering before the roosts, etc.  :barnie  
I was able to score the 12x12 stick down vinyl tiles at Lowe's in the clearance shelf fo .05 cents a piece, total cost was $1.28 to do my 4x6 coop.

Hey 73Luke: Like everything you did there! Pretty sweet set up for your birds. One question and one comment... Q: How in the world are you going to reach that high to fill up that food pipe? It also looks pretty close to the ceiling so might be a tight fit to fill it. Unless there's some way you can lower it then lean it to one side to fill then lift/slide (crane? forklift?) it back up there. C: The cowling edge is too low in relation to the pellet release holes. The birds are going to waste a LOT of feed out onto the ground (which is already noticeable in the pic). Don't know if you can get a "deeper" cowl, or maybe alter it somehow so the openings are lower inside the existing cowl. The food won't be quite as deep, but should flow just as well and they'll have no problem sticking their little heads down inside to get it
highfive.gif
That will however mitigate (to some extent) the wasted feed.

Exactly what I was thinking. That thing could hold a 3 month supply of feed! And you get the 50# bags up to the top HOW?? And then pour them HOW?? Maybe Luke can cut a hole in the side at a convenient height and fashion a wye (with cap) somehow to make filling easy. Not sure he would want that thing full anyway unless he is going on a 3 month vacation leaving the birds to fend for themselves.

Had the same idea regarding the holes. If they go all the way to the bottom, a nice piece of black gorilla tape could be wrapped around the upper part.

Yes, I meant Kangaroos, sorry
tongue.png

No need to be sorry, we all use the words we are used to.

No raccoons, or bears,or wildcats or wolves or any of the other scary stuff I see posted about on here!! People say Aussie wildlife is bad!!!!
I'm very new to chicken keeping, and live in quite an isolated (if fairly large) town. The only chooks up here seem to be Isa Browns. I was chasing Australorps but couldn't get hold of any. No sure if they are different to the American ones or not.

Found this link (and many more using) "western australia australorp breeders" in Google:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mall-scale-all-the-way-from-western-australia

I am loving looking at everyones coops. Its amazing the detail people have gone into. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks the girls like it pretty
wink.png

Don't tell my girls! They don't know other chickens have pretty coops.

Bruce

I built a rain shelter recently for my chickens' "day pen" area. We dedicated a side of the yard to them so they have somewhere to forage and dust bath during the daytime hours when we are home. I set it up so we can see them roosting out of one of our living room windows. The chickens seem to enjoy peeking in and watching us just as much :)
It rains a lot here in FL so they need somewhere to hang out while the brief but sometimes heavy afternoon storms pass through. Once the rain passes they immediately head for the feed and seem to really enjoy the pellets after they've been soaked with rain!
Just a couple things left to do: attach the proper gate hinges and latch for the front access gate, and I still have to build a gate to access my compost heap on the other side of the far end of the pen I don't want the chickens pecking through the compost and getting a taste for the egg shells and other chicken no-no stuff like avocado skins we toss in there. Some spare chain-link fencing does the job for now, but it makes getting to the compost heap a bit of a pain

Side Pen by (cobrabyte), on Flickr

What a neat area. I love it!! Coming from La it gets hot, hot hot in the daytime. Total sun until about 11 am. Then shade the rest of the day. I like the wooden shading on the fence. Hmmmmmmm.
big_smile.png

Our coop and run for two birds. Still in progress, but I'm stuck as to what I can put on the floor for easy clean out. Living in PA, we can have cold winters and I want something that is durable.
welcome-byc.gif

Adorable build! The barn red and white accents are pleasing.

If you really want something durable you may want to start with a locking lid on hinges with a strong lock for the pen area to keep out stray cats, stray dogs that break in (like we had), aerial predators, wandering wildlife (that you never knew you had until you get chickens!) Since you're in PA you probably get snow so a slightly tilted pen roof would probably be helpful for snow cleanups. As for the ground we never put anything on our dirt floor pen but then we're in SoCal with no snow - we rake up the dirt to collect for the compost pile but because we free-range days the girls don't use the coop much. I love your lattice finish but would suggest a hardwire (1/2 inch) interior walls to keep manipulative wildlife paws from reach through the white slats. I know your coop is still in progress but just throwing in some security suggestions before you "finalize" your build. Also provide a portable little perch or tree branch on the ground in the pen to keep the chickie tootsies free of wet or muddy ground - plus they love perching even on low little perches all times of the day.

Not sure what your space requirements are since what you have might be comfortable for only a couple bantams - unless you provide some more space with supervised free-range time for your birds every day. Having a chicken pop-door open 24/7 is not safe as predators will climb in at night into the coop like someone's loose pet snakes, rodents, maybe even oppossums, weasels, or raccoons that you never knew lived in your city. Don't know where your people door is located for coop cleaning but I definitely see an issue with needing more ventilation holes near your roof line. If you drill some ventilation holes cover them over with hardwire to keep out rodents/snakes. A paver stone walkway around the perimeter of your pen will discourage digging critters- it kept dogs from digging under our 4x6 coop 3 years ago - but of course they mangled the chicken poultry wire with their teeth and claws which is why I suggest using only secure 1/2 inch hardwire and not flimsy poultry wire which tears apart from itself.

When you get on this thread there will be a lot of experienced advice thrown your way. We all love our chickens so much we want to do everything possible to pass along security suggestions. You'll probably get more suggestions than this. Post your finalized project again as we love photos!

Last edited:
Yes, there is one oddball in that mix... That was my mystery chick from McMurray. I think it's a roo, and it appears barred, but I have no idea what it is. Any guesses?  My daughter says "It's really pretty!" :hugs   I think to myself... It might turn out to be really pretty tasty :eek:

Without a good view, I'd say it looks quite similar to a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

God dam some of these Coops are not just chicken coops they are mansions. Two story with from doors and well just to far out!

We just got a flat-pack online and put it together.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom