post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You could lay down a remnant piece of linoleum...works great for easy cleaning.

2. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]oh geez..got to make a list !! When I come back from a cookout, I need to install my nest buckets that I spent the morning cutting and anchor them somehow.[​IMG] I forgot in my list of "to do" things...I'm putting in the floor covering before the roosts, etc. [​IMG]

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I was able to score the 12x12 stick down vinyl tiles at Lowe's in the clearance shelf fo .05 cents a piece, total cost was $1.28 to do my 4x6 coop.

1 person likes this.
  4. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont

Exactly what I was thinking. That thing could hold a 3 month supply of feed! And you get the 50# bags up to the top HOW?? And then pour them HOW?? Maybe Luke can cut a hole in the side at a convenient height and fashion a wye (with cap) somehow to make filling easy. Not sure he would want that thing full anyway unless he is going on a 3 month vacation leaving the birds to fend for themselves.

Had the same idea regarding the holes. If they go all the way to the bottom, a nice piece of black gorilla tape could be wrapped around the upper part.

Bruce

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    What a neat area. I love it!! Coming from La it gets hot, hot hot in the daytime. Total sun until about 11 am. Then shade the rest of the day. I like the wooden shading on the fence. Hmmmmmmm. [​IMG]

6. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Here is an update on mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    [​IMG]
    Adorable build! The barn red and white accents are pleasing.

If you really want something durable you may want to start with a locking lid on hinges with a strong lock for the pen area to keep out stray cats, stray dogs that break in (like we had), aerial predators, wandering wildlife (that you never knew you had until you get chickens!) Since you're in PA you probably get snow so a slightly tilted pen roof would probably be helpful for snow cleanups. As for the ground we never put anything on our dirt floor pen but then we're in SoCal with no snow - we rake up the dirt to collect for the compost pile but because we free-range days the girls don't use the coop much. I love your lattice finish but would suggest a hardwire (1/2 inch) interior walls to keep manipulative wildlife paws from reach through the white slats. I know your coop is still in progress but just throwing in some security suggestions before you "finalize" your build. Also provide a portable little perch or tree branch on the ground in the pen to keep the chickie tootsies free of wet or muddy ground - plus they love perching even on low little perches all times of the day.

Not sure what your space requirements are since what you have might be comfortable for only a couple bantams - unless you provide some more space with supervised free-range time for your birds every day. Having a chicken pop-door open 24/7 is not safe as predators will climb in at night into the coop like someone's loose pet snakes, rodents, maybe even oppossums, weasels, or raccoons that you never knew lived in your city. Don't know where your people door is located for coop cleaning but I definitely see an issue with needing more ventilation holes near your roof line. If you drill some ventilation holes cover them over with hardwire to keep out rodents/snakes. A paver stone walkway around the perimeter of your pen will discourage digging critters- it kept dogs from digging under our 4x6 coop 3 years ago - but of course they mangled the chicken poultry wire with their teeth and claws which is why I suggest using only secure 1/2 inch hardwire and not flimsy poultry wire which tears apart from itself.

When you get on this thread there will be a lot of experienced advice thrown your way. We all love our chickens so much we want to do everything possible to pass along security suggestions. You'll probably get more suggestions than this. Post your finalized project again as we love photos!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. Tee-Walk-Chik

Tee-Walk-Chik New Egg

Apr 16, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So far, we should be done in about 3weeks :lol:

9. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

Without a good view, I'd say it looks quite similar to a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

10. ChuckT

ChuckT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    God dam some of these Coops are not just chicken coops they are mansions. Two story with from doors and well just to far out!

We just got a flat-pack online and put it together. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by