post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    The 1/2" hardwire is excellent for protecting against snakes. Good luck on your chickeneering. As said before you never know you have wildlife until you get chickens - especially young chicks are wildlife's easiest prey.

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    [​IMG]
    Yep, if you keep chickens long enough, you'll have all the experiences eventually - the sudden dead chick or hen, the mean vicious bully, the problem of LF mixed with bantams, prolapse, broodiness, hen saddles, chicken diapers, indoor hospital pens, extended chicken vacations from laying, eggbound, bloody fights, broken eggs, egg eaters, soft-shells, aggressive breeds, gentle breeds that won't defend themselves, predator attacks, snow storms, rain storms, heatwaves, lice, mites, worms, vet visits, a leaking coop, etc, just to name a very very few. And if you can still love chickens after all that you get an A+++

1 person likes this.
  3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    My friend had 3 Red Sexlinks that were sweet enough but they all died within 6 months of each other, one from eggbound, one died early on, and the last one lingered for a while before dying. So sad as she doesn't take her hens to a vet. She won't get RIRs because of their reputation for aggression and she has too many gentle EEs and Ameraucanas to put a really assertive RIR in the mix. Somewhat nice layers but (about 3 eggs/week) the Marans are sneaky pecky types. The aggressive BR had to be rehomed once it reached 2 years. In a large flock the Leghorns seem to mind their own business and EEs/Amers are non-combative types not interested in flock politics.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    [​IMG]

Urban areas have wildlife more than you think - we saw a goat-sized Raccoon crawl out of our street's storm drain at 2 a.m. and saw a 'possum roadkill in front of our house. If this is your only home for the girls, put a complicated latch or lock on both the lid and chicken pop-door since Raccoons have deft manipulative fingers. Also, provide a perch outside the coop as there isn't really enough space for one inside. There are stand-alone perches or just a big heavy branch along the ground will provide tootsie space for your girls. Once stray cats discover your girls, they will love catching them for dinner if there is no enclosed pen for the little coop. When the coop is locked up for the night it will need at least two opposing ventilation apertures near the roof line.

We aren't being brutal on here - just passing along experiences to prevent future problems. And when you make a covered pen to enclosed the cute little coop use 1/2" hardwire since standard 1" poultry wire easily pulls apart from itself when attacked by predators - I found out the hard way.

Chickens only use a coop to lay their eggs and roost for the night (no room for a roost inside your coop) - the rest of the time they love being outdoors and snoozing/hiding under foliage so an enclosed pen space is vital to their security.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Contrary to photogenic pictures of chickens grazing in open pastures, they truly like hiding places. Only a stupid chicken will graze in the open - usually they are not far from a tall weed, bush, car, wheelbarrow, etc where they can quickly dash out of sight from aerial predators. Before I got tired of hosing down their poop I used to allow my girls access to the sliding door porch where an awning shaded the area. No more - they have their own pop-up canopy in the yard with Orbit Mister on hot days, several lean-to's, a doghouse, a wheelbarrow, and some weeds/plants to dive/snooze under during the day. I got tired of their poops on my porch and they have respected the new fence barrier so far.

6. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    Well, today I worked and sweated again. Told myself I was going out to measure how my 5 gal buckets would fit as nesting boxes....Cut one...then thought I'd put on an L bracket under the boards where the buckets would be sitting....then I thought...I could go ahead and put the 2x2 braced in front of the nest boards where the buckets would be....ok...got that done. Then I looked at the window that I have in place and decided I could go ahead and put the hardwire on the inside...sweat was already dripping...LOL....as I looked at it, I realized that it would be be easier to take the window off and put it on the outside and put screws in it...then I decided I might as well flip it like you suggested....! LOL To say that I'm exhausted is an understatement ! I am going to put some more screws/washers on the wiring before I'm comfortable leaving it open at night. also still have to mount the nesting boxes and put in the roosts....mount the pop door and the people door. They will be more difficult because the openings are not even..will have to even them out before I attach them. That people door will be awful..its solid wood exterior..heavy but took these picts. [​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    We finally finished leveling off the coop. Now hopefully tomorrow we can finish putting up the walls

8. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Looks great and now you can leave it open and not worry about the rain getting in, especially being under the roof overhang. :)

9. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    Yea, and the window is low enough for me to handle.. LOLOL and you mentioned the overhang.....[​IMG]Got to get the ladder out there and take all the panels off (they are just layed up there with the supports I'm going to use and boards on top to keep them in place...[​IMG]

10. PAChickLady

PAChickLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

Our coop and run for two birds. Still in progress, but I'm stuck as to what I can put on the floor for easy clean out. Living in PA, we can have cold winters and I want something that is durable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by