post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    For the winter months here in Oregon (Loads of snow) I use 5-mil clear plastic. It comes in rolls. Cut to fit, use slatting to anchor to the run..voila! Then just tear it down in the spring...works for me!

2. clevelandeggs

clevelandeggs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Cleveland, Ohio
    thanks. Im using 1/4 inch hardwire because i found it on amazon and it was cheaper than the 1/2", i wanted to use 1/2" but couldn't pass up the price. the girls will be locked in the coop at night and i agree some good strong raccoon proof lock is in order. the wood latch on there now was just to keep the door from blowing open over night.

i didn't think about the possible negative side affects of mixing the EEs with the larger breeds. they are 2 weeks old today and the RIR appears to be at the top of the order but they all get along very well. i hope it stays this way. oh i am actually just outside of downtown Cleveland, OH but there are definitely lots of coons and opossums that need to stay out.

3. Rani

Rani Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    By A Lake, Minnesota
    Thank you, I"ll look into that!

4. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I suppose I could talk to the trash guys if they spoke ENGLISH or my native RUSSIAN. LOL. Our nation needs to do what the European and Scandinavian countries do - teach the kids 5 different foreign languages beginning in Kindergarten all the way through high school instead of extra curriculars like finger-painting, picnics, and skipping rope! Our visiting Finnish friend speaks 6 languages and fluently and barely any accent in any of the languages she spoke - she started learning her first foreign language English in Kindergarten!!! We have overpaid school superintendents and dumbed-down school subjects and shortened school days. No wonder people are turning to home-schooling (home school also causes the parents to stimulate their learning).
    [​IMG]Rant!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

She was a show-off, most of us only speak three languages. I'm at about three and three quarters.

*Edit* And to demonstrate the Scandinavian education, I shall inform you that Scandinavia is a part of Europe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    1/4 inch is not as sturdy as 1/2 inch but certainly better than any flimsy poultry wire!

As for your EEs you at least have 2 of them and not just one lone one. So many new chickeneers just pick up ONE EE for a colorful egg basket without thinking about the consequences of a gentle breed alone in a group of heavier dual purpose breeds that can get aggressive at maturity. Pullets will always get along growing up together - it's at maturity anywhere from 18 months to 2 years that the bigger assertive breeds will start pushing their weight around.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    See what I mean about education in the U.S.A. - if I had a good public school education I would've known THAT [​IMG]

8. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a proper, well thought out national curriculum, and ending tenure and replacing the incompetent teachers with people who actually know something and care about their students. (Now I'm going to start a riot.)

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Too late - our parents throughout the nation are rioting to their school boards - it's just directed on deaf ears! The more population there is, the more bureaucracy is set up, and the less gets done.

10. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] I speak one language 'Merican.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by