post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Applehead

Applehead Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2014
    H'Burg MS

Lol, yeah the door kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. I was using that old door as a work bench and it just happened to fit there. I was going to build one but I got lazy. :) maybe I can do something to make it fit in better.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Sand it down, and treat with linseed oil for a nice look.

3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    We don't keep ducks because of what they do to clean water and then the chickens will come and drink it - yuck - so we don't keep ducks. I think ducks like to mess up clean water to get algae and pond scum to build up so they can dive for the yucky stuff - it's what ducks do. I wouldn't keep them mixed with any other fowl except maybe geese. Ducks and geese are cute and the geese are great watchdogs but they need lots of water and space.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    This BYCer has good advice re: perches
    Private Message and ask bruceha2000

5. karenhenkel

karenhenkel New Egg

Jul 8, 2014
    Northwestern Connecticut
    I agree. i would absolutely buy one. How charming. It is beautiful.

6. clucknbell

clucknbell Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Latest addition to the chicken run. Added sand to the run and then re-purposed an old pine tree into a roost swing. Next, I took our old ripped shade tarps from the dog kennel and used them over the chicken run to give the gals some shade. Hoping the rain holds off for the next couple of days so we can get the flower boxes mounted, the raised garden beds built that will run the length of the coop (for strawberries, lavender, basil, ect.), and the ramp done going into the run. Lots left to do...just not a lot of time. Trying to get it done before we start brooding our next batch of chickies in two weeks. So far tho, the current residents seem to approve of the upgrades.
    [​IMG]

Side shot of the run b/f any upgrades. Last two weeks were spent putting a hardware cloth perimeter around the entire base of the coop to keep the predators out and the gals safe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Lookin' good! [​IMG] will look even better after the raised beds are in. That hardware cloth will serve a dual purpose... keep those hens out of the strawberries! [​IMG] Those are some pampered birds for sure [​IMG]

8. clucknbell

clucknbell Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I figured if I got an infestation of worms, slugs, ect. with the strawberries they would be only too happy to help with that. lol [​IMG]

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I can't let our hens into the garden beds or around the containered veggies because the hens dig into the soil too deep to the roots of the plants or strip off the leaves. My hens dig holes to China when they dust-bathe! We have to keep a 2-foot tall rabbit fence around the garden area until the harvest is done - THEN turn the hens loose into the area to scratch and tear up the soil hunting for egg shells (fertilizer) or bugs or to dust bathe and make a total mess. They have fun in there for about 3-4 months before the next Spring planting when we fence it off again. I used to have one lone New Hampshire who loved running down the rows of tomato plants and veggies to hunt for spiders and horn-worms and she never did the hard scratching in the soil. The group I have now have made dust-bath holes all over the yard! I plan to make them a coarse sand-and-dirt box under the canopy to see if that contains them from destroying the rest of the yard LOL.

10. coaldigger

coaldigger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    [​IMG] little early morning play time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by