post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. NikJov1981

NikJov1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    chickenfever68, that's quite impressive. Nice work. I especially like the little bird feeder.

2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    How fun that they get play time in the grass. We did that with our first chickens nervously monitoring them - and found them so alert and forage savvy that we let them free-range every day now. Of course we added shelters like pop-up canopy, doghouse, a few low lean-to's, rose bushes, plus their coop for hiding/snoozing areas. Our visiting Cooper's Hawk will sit on the patio furniture not more than 5 feet from the chickens but they are not in the open yard and the hawk won't go after the hiding chickens. It's worked well for 3 years so far and we only have hens - no roo. They are so entertaining to watch - better than TV !

3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Nice big roof overhanging the nestbox. The decorations do add a nice touch!

1 person likes this.
  4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Beautiful A-Frame Amish coop. Set it on top of a paver stone perimeter with about a 3 foot wide walkway all around to discourage digging critters. You never knew you had wildlife until you get chickens!

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Neat idea about the run. I like it!!!!

6. catfishdeacon

catfishdeacon New Egg

Mar 24, 2014
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Greetings from Oregon! [​IMG] Very cute coop!!

1 person likes this.
  8. donniek

donniek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Central Arkansas
    Back in the early to mid 90s when banks were throwing money out of helicopters I went into the home building business. We were building million + $ houses back before they were common and life was good. I had a serious automobile accident at the age of 24 which resulted in loosing my business, wife, and darn near my life. After about a year of medical rehab I landed back in the real world. I'm physically unable to work like an animal anymore so I do my regular non-construction related job but also do as much woodworking type stuffs as possible just to satisfy the urge.

After looking at a lot of possibilities for a chicken coop I've been wanting to build, I decided to go with a design that satisfies another urge... RECYCLING!

Tonight I started gathering my materials for my "pallet wood" coop. These are odd size/junk pallets I got from work... they are one-time-use pallets that just aren't any good for any of our purposes

[​IMG]

Instead of pulling nails and all dealing with all of the crap that involves I've just cut the slats as close to the nails as possible and for the most part they are around 20" to 23" each.

[​IMG]

Some of these PDQ pallets have 3/8" OSB board tops instead of slats so I'll reserve this for the roof.

[​IMG]

here is the start of my pile... most of it is slats I cut from pallets but the white pieces on the right are old clapboard siding from a demo job a while back. I'll edge one side on my router table then rip everything down to a 3" width and either shiplap of tongue & groove the joints to get a nice water/airtight fit for the siding. I'll have about 3Xs this amount of wood by tomorrow afternoon.

[​IMG]

Ultimately, my design is a little fluid considering the materials I am working with, but this is 2 of my pallets stacked upon one another and this will determine my overall height, width and length of the project.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Loved reading your post...please keep us updated as your progress continues!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. donniek

donniek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Central Arkansas
    Most definitely... we had about 48 hours of rain set in this morning so no further progress will happen for a few more days [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by