post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Kansas

Kansas New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    Thanks. I like the term predator apron. We always used to call it a critter guard. I like your term more.

2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    x2 on sealing the OSB - we got a custom-built coop made by a customer at the local feed store. Wonderful little design but all made out of cheap OSB and cheap 1-inch poultry/chicken wire. We didn't paint it because of the interfering wire and staples so we keep it covered with tarp and canopied in winter from rain, fog, and dew. Some of the particle board nailed over the wire is flaking off. Cheap cheap cheap but it HAS lasted us over 3 years with extra special care. OSB also feels heavier than regular wood so isn't the best to use for mobile tractors - don't need to add dead weight to something that's supposed to be mobile.

3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Nice use of space except for ONE thing. Chickens will use the roof as a step ladder to get to the fence ledge and escape - teehee!

4. Kansas

Kansas New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    Very nice. I like your nest boxes. I may go with something like that in the future.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Kansas

Kansas New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    I really like this idea. Very smart.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  6. Halokirbs

Halokirbs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    The chickens will not have access to the roof. They will be in a chicken run during the day and in the coop at night.

7. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Yeah, I saw the idea online and recreated it with the scrap stuff I had laying around, the other ones I saw only had chicken wire over but were a lot smaller. Since we went so wide we thought it needed more than chicken wire for support. I am able to gingerly walk on it and not hurt it so it turned out to be fairly strong.

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    There is nothing more gorgeous than chickeneers who research before plunging into the world of poultry keeping. Also there's nothing more satisfying than seeing a field of free-ranging hens.

We have free-ranged our backyard girls and learned from "Free-Range Chicken Gardens" by Jessi Bloom the advantage of having plants and shelters scattered around for the chickens to snooze/hide under from aerial predators. We have several low lean-to shelter planks set on cinder blocks sort of like bences scattered around the yard, a couple XL plastic doghouses, a shady popup canopy buried a foot in the ground to keep from para-sailing away, some perch planks set through cinderblock holes under the canopy, and rose bushes for them to use as shelters. Chickens like open range but we should responsibly provide shelters for them for hiding/snoozing as I'm sure Kansas is not aerial predator-proofed yet. In the city we have a regular visiting Cooper's Hawk for 3 years now that watches our girls in the yard from the patio furniture but doesn't go after our hiding hens. The hawks prefer nice open space like your field to swoop down on a slow-running hen that won't quite make it in time to get under your shed basement. Having several hiding areas will save the roo from having to engage in a battle with a predator hawk since 99% of the time the roo loses.

A swinging roost, a couple old wooden thrift store chairs, a bench or planks on cinderblocks, or old branch or tree stump on the floor of the pen will all get utilized also by the penned chickens. You can make it as plain or fancy as you'd like but provide some snooze shelters and perches.

Gorgeous scenic property!

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yikes! I never thought of that....you're right....

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    The run has nestboxes too? So glad to see you have thought it out and that the coop is raised on blocks for those rainy days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by