post your chicken coop pictures here!

frow.gif
hopefully my granddaughter will not rat me out....(don't think she will)....I slipped out to my coop after I spoke to my dh
hide.gif
and replace the pop door. put in a thicker door, 2 hinges for more stability and a latch. Despite how it looks...there are no openings around the door that are not covered good. My question.....do I need to double latch it? Here's a before and after.
idunno.gif
Tomorrow, I hope to attack the people door. Won't get it done in one day but I will get it started...if my hubby goes on to work...
big_smile.png
LOL...Not doing too well with the RMSF. Nurse was upset with me.....opps !!!

You could put some trim around the edges to hide the cuts a bit. But that looks a lot more stable. The latch isn't raccoon proof though.

You could put some trim around the edges to hide the cuts a bit. But that looks a lot more stable. The latch isn't raccoon proof though.
Its not a regular latch...it has a slide that moves into place after its hooked...My ?? is do I need to put a slide hook on the other side.. on my other coop I have 2....one of which is a slide latch..(not the hook kind). Also, because the guy who started this did not use a level or square.......LOL....nothing is squared!
hmm.png
Very strong but crudely built! As much as I would like to make it prettier...I already had to make several cuts just to get this little door in.!! I have a sealer/stain for the wood. Just have to work with my energy level which isn't much now! It really would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that I have never built anything...I'm dealing with antibiotics for RMSP....and this heat is so draining!!
th.gif

Last edited:
Hi Mama Jay, What you have there with the 2 hinges and spring latch ought to be adequate. Even if a coon got a paw under the door on the left, the 3 point attachment (hinges and latch) should prevent the door from opening sufficiently for the coon to do anything. Now... if a bear decides it wants in, you'll need some new chicks... and a new coop as well most likely.

Hope the antibiotics are helping some. get better soon!

Here is the finished product. I added a "catwalk" for the adult chick we already have and it appears to be working out pretty good. I also made a 70' x 30' run for them when they get bigger. We started out with 25 pullets and have 25 teenagers, one is a rooster.

Here is the finished product. I added a "catwalk" for the adult chick we already have and it appears to be working out pretty good. I also made a 70' x 30' run for them when they get bigger. We started out with 25 pullets and have 25 teenagers, one is a rooster.

'Authorized Personnel Only' means anyone fully loaded with chicken treats?? lol

It's almost finished at last! The hardware cloth roof has been attached and DH is putting a door on the run as I post. Hoping to transition the girls outside this week. They've been spending some supervised time out there over the last few days.
We are not very construction-savvy, so be gentle in your critiques please.
big_smile.png
Also spending as little $$ as possible was the goal.

The coop is about 6'6" tall and about 3'6" x3'6" inside. It is made from 2 solid wood panel doors and 2 shutters from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore . Those shutters are screened on the inside to keep bugs out, but I think they'll allow plenty of ventilation. The hardware, floor and roof and most of the wood were reStore, salvaged or free.

The front swings open on a hinge for us to access. The birds will come and go through an opening in the floor with the ladder. (I think the opening may need to be larger, and the angle of the ladder may need tinkering....)

There are 2 roost bars inside and I'm working on an idea similar to the popular poop boards I've seen on here.

Haven't quite decided what we'll do about the nest boxes. I'm open to suggestions! Leaning towards the bucket type nest on the side wall below the lower roost.

All told, I think we spent about $70 on the coop.

The run is 8' square and 7'2" tall. All treated lumber and 1/2" hardware cloth.

We had to spend a bit more there than we wanted to, but safety first! We have (well controlled but you never know!) bird dogs as neighbors and raccoons in the woods behind us. Probably $180 in wood and wire.

Moved our small flock (3) in 2 weekends ago and they're loving it. I underestimated the amount of work involved by a factor of 3 but it was a fun project and I learned a lot in the process. There's still work to do, but luckily I have time before winter hits.

The back (before planter and flagstone):

A pic of the inside just before they moved in:

Free ranging in the yard, staying close to their new home:

Thanks Latestarter and chickeelena... Painting seems like it would be safer
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom