1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    It needs to be painted... Should I go barn red?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DoubleMM

May 29, 2014
    Thanks Latestarter and chickeelena... Painting seems like it would be safer[​IMG]....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.

4. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop

5. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I think you need a lot of experience before you can actually estimate how long it takes. Even professionals seem to finish about 2 months late on any job [​IMG]

I probably spent a month putting our coop and run together. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Your's looks like a well thought out design.

6. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    The run is finally finished. We moved the chicks in the coop about 2 weeks ago. Sunday the chicks finally got their yard. The hubby says for all his hard work, he expects eggs within a week or they will be roasted. They'll be 7 weeks old tomorrow. [​IMG]

The coop is (mostly) level and the run is contoured with the ground.

[​IMG]
    The morning sun coming over the trees makes a good pic difficult right now

I thought getting them back into the coop at night would be a problem but it seems getting them to venture out has been a bigger challenge. I left the food in the coop but moved the water out. By 10am, I went into the coop and kicked the last 5 of 18 out. They were thirsty. When it started getting dark, all the chickies came back to the coop.
    [​IMG]

From the trap door to the run is a welded wire tunnel.
    [​IMG]

The back of coop has a hinged plank for nest box access and easy clean out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The run is made of 12'x6' frames with welded wire panels stapled to it. The floor and ceiling are also covered with welded wire. The top is draped with shade cloth until we can get some natural cover. We bought a $100 air stapler at Home Depot and it was worth it's weight in gold on this project.
    [​IMG]

Our first attempt at raising chickens didn't work out very well with the neighborhood dogs. This time the coop and run are closer to the house and fully enclosed. It will take a while for our dogs to get used to them but they'll keep an eye out for any other unwanted critter.
    [​IMG]

7. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont

Not sure about the spring hook, even though I know people who can't figure them out. As far as a second one, I guess you can pull hard on the other corner and see how big the gap is. It may not take too much force to bend the hinge and make the gap even wider.

Looks like a pretty good job all around. I agree on the ramp, the cleats are too far apart, chicken claws don't dig into the wood, they grasp over the cleats. If they will have enough "headroom" you might put the lower end of the ramp on a block of some sort to lessen the angle. I can't tell about the opening in the floor.

Looks well designed. My wife says everything takes me 3 times as long as I think it will so your estimates are PERFECT [​IMG]

8. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Looks good. Don't worry about them not going out in their own. You have a bunch of babies that have just been moved from their bassinet to a mansion. They are understandably cautious. When mine were young they all stuck together like glue. The 12 of them would ALWAYS be together. After their first winter they got more brave, venturing out in smaller groups to various places. Now at 2 years old they still hang together a lot but one or two might be who knows where by themselves when the rest are all in the barn or under a bush.

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote: [​IMG]

10. DoubleMM

May 29, 2014
    Thanks... Whenever I paint anything, I like to choose a new color, so I can see where all the work went.

So I'm undecided, either:

Red with white trim or a warm mid slate gray with deep charcoal gray trim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by