post your chicken coop pictures here!

As Bruceha2000 says the perches should at least be 3-Inches round or I like the 2x4 planks for roosts with the flat side up.  Thin perches are hard on the chickens' legs/feet and in cold weather like to have a platform perch to cover their feet with their feathers.

I use the flat 2x4s myself... I have one in the coop and I'm going to put a few under the stand and I hope to find a nice tree root system laying along the road soon... Grab that... Cut off the smaller roots leaving a chuck of the stump and roots for a roost in the yard... I saw someone else do that and it was sooooooo cool... :yiipchick happy chickens lol

I use the flat 2x4s myself... I have one in the coop and I'm going to put a few under the stand and I hope to find a nice tree root system laying along the road soon... Grab that... Cut off the smaller roots leaving a chuck of the stump and roots for a roost in the yard... I saw someone else do that and it was sooooooo cool...
yippiechickie.gif
happy chickens lol

In the city tree stumps/logs are hard to come by unless you spot someone cutting their tree but usually they keep all the wood for their fireplaces. I hope someday to have a backyard walking bridge so the chickens can have one more place to hide/snooze under. Of course that won't happen until I finish laying those 65 paver stones LOL!

In the city tree stumps/logs are hard to come by unless you spot someone cutting their tree but usually they keep all the wood for their fireplaces.  I hope someday to have a backyard walking bridge so the chickens can have one more place to hide/snooze under.  Of course that won't happen until I finish laying those 65 paver stones LOL!

Lol.. That's ok. Small :jumpy steps right... My husband has been promising me a privacy fence, chickens and a kitchen (our is just a mock up due to water damage) for 3 years now... Guess what he's just now marking off the list!!!

Ok.. Got the small coop up on the stand and almost ready to party...

Just need to add the skid bars on the ramp, dust it down with DE, put bedding, food and water out... Then.... :cd
Time lol

Last edited:
Are meat kings like Cornish X's ?  A friend of ours raised a dozen and two were killed by Crows right through their cage because the meat bird chicks were so indolent - she wouldn't have lost the chicks if her cage had the smaller 1/2-inch hardwire.  Cornish Xs grow too fast and have to be processed by 8 weeks or they start really laboring trying to move about.  I've heard stories of them dying of thirst because they couldn't walk 10-feet to their waterer.  Try some traditional dual purpose breed varieties next - that way you'll have eggs for a couple years before processing them for table meat. Love your coop and the additional amenities you described re: ventilation!

We have cornish x and they are 16 weeks now and they are not too fat to play and get water or whatever chickens do. We feed them feed in the am then they go in a pen out in the yard. They free range and get a few scraps or dry oatmeal in the late afternoon then we walk them to their coop which is across the yard and they get a little more feed before bed time. We put them on a feed schedule when they got about 6 weeks so they wouldn't eat to death. Our rooster has no problem mating and the girls are about to start laying. He gives the girls plenty of excercize by chasing them around all day. They are a big chicken but they are lean and not fat. The key is not to give them unlimited food. Our cornish x are happy and play almost like our other chickens but they do take more breaks. We love them they are so sweet.

I just picked up 3 (80lb) bags of quickcrete... Going to set my run post tomorrow... One step at a time!

Tell me about it.. I did find out that lowes will GIVE you what they call skits... About 4' long and just shy of 2x4s it will make good frame work for my new coop... Add a few 8' 2x4s and I'll have my stuff... :celebrate

:celebrate that last picture surprised me no lying.... I was moving stuff around in the room I had them and found one cracked and the larger one just sitting there... The smaller one in my hand was laid right in front of me!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom