post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here's ours outside, plus a picture of the roosting bars and how we buried/aproned out the hardware cloth on the coop and run.. Our 20 girls are 12 weeks old so the roosting bars are small. I will probably replace them with 2x4s when the girls are full grown. There are nesting boxes on the outside back of the coop, and a side pop door into their run, which we just finished roofing. We live in central Washington "cowboy country" so wanted a western theme look :)
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you. I'm in the same position. I bought 5 BIG white plymouth rocks and they can't navigate a 2.5" round pole. So I'm gonna have to redo the roost to a flat 2x4" plank about 18" inches off the ground. I don't care, they are worth it. Fabulous birds.

@Sylvester017 One thing I did with my cheap-o car ports was to duct tape all the slip fit connections. Once that tarp goes so does all pressure on those connections and they will come apart. The duct tape lasted a good two or three years.... If it felt loose I added more.

The pipe corral is set with posts in concrete where it spans more then 24 feet. Therefore I felt secure in fastening the canopy structure to the pipe corral. It was the one corner in the corral that needed reinforcement and a fastening point. So I drove a Tpost right next to it. Then half hitches beteen the post and the Tpost snugging both together with Bailing twine..... that stuff is Awesomely strong.... Just dont let the sun eat it.... So... again I covered the Bailing twine with Duct tape.... Served to keep things from moving and sun screened the twine.

I did the same fastening deal to the pipe corral.

For what its worth you can buy used Freeway signs on line they are painted or printed on very very heavy duty canvas.... So heavy they can be used as pond liners. Cut to fit with a little extra fold over PVC and clamp with a C clamp. Now you have a very flexible way to fasten your tarp down because you can move the fastening points any where you need them....

deb

Linda, we are in Nederland, just a stone's throw from the LA border. I have a cousin in Shreveport (who recently started his own coop), and our first child was born on the banks of the Mississippi in Baton Rouge:) My little Swamp Baby.
Wow, you are right on the gulf aren't you? Tell you cousin to visit our thread Louisiana Layer Peeps. It's fun and we can get to know each other and answer questions. We're hoping to start a swap up in Minden close to Shreveport in the coming months. Tell him to pop on and say hi and where he is from.
big_smile.png

Edited: You are close enough to us to visit us too. Love to have you.

Last edited:
Here's ours outside, plus a picture of the roosting bars and how we buried/aproned out the hardware cloth on the coop and run.. Our 20 girls are 12 weeks old so the roosting bars are small. I will probably replace them with 2x4s when the girls are full grown. There are nesting boxes on the outside back of the coop, and a side pop door into their run, which we just finished roofing. We live in central Washington "cowboy country" so wanted a western theme look :)

You will love that porch when it rains/snows! Not sure how you'll collect eggs from the rear unless you have an awning over the collection area during inclement weather. Lovely cabin!

Shhhhh... Don't mention the chickens as a possibility... My husband will cook them!!!
ep.gif
lol....
I guess I do need to try to get to the dr soon though if I can't shake this....

Just like taking sick chicken to the vet is a must if symptoms don't change in 24 hours, so it should be with humans but to a Dr of course!

Last edited:
here is our coop and run in upstate NY! (an hour North of Utica)

you can see my slide up door that you can open and close from outside the hen house section with the red handle, it has the 2x4 base plate for the outside wall stops drafts and will keep predators from getting their paws under the door to lift it from the outside.

the chicken ladder on the left has a poop slide attached so I can just scrape the nights poop into easy to empty bins.

the permanent run of chain link, and we just made a mobile run from deer netting and fiberglass posts so they can go on the grassy yard and we can move it before they destroy all the grass.

Nice roomy coop and yard. Do you have a couple guard dogs to watch the area for foxes, coons, weasels, etc? Your wooded area is a haven for wild critters. Put out some doghouses or benches or planks on cinderblocks to give your girls added hiding/snoozing places from aerial predators if you plan to keep the outdoor pen open on top. Our chicken hawks won't go after our hiding hens even though they sit on the fence and watch the girls hiding!
I'm not a fan of OSB board but hopefully on the interior it will last as long as there isn't a lot of humidity or moisture. Chicken poop can be as destructive as water is on OSB.
Do the windows open for added ventilation during hot weather?
My favourite part of the coop is the large overhanging roofline. Plentiful roof overhangs are very purposeful during hard rains and for some shade on the walls during sunny days. Hurray for the American flag!

@Sylvester017 One thing I did with my cheap-o car ports was to duct tape all the slip fit connections. Once that tarp goes so does all pressure on those connections and they will come apart. The duct tape lasted a good two or three years.... If it felt loose I added more.

The pipe corral is set with posts in concrete where it spans more then 24 feet. Therefore I felt secure in fastening the canopy structure to the pipe corral. It was the one corner in the corral that needed reinforcement and a fastening point. So I drove a Tpost right next to it. Then half hitches beteen the post and the Tpost snugging both together with Bailing twine..... that stuff is Awesomely strong.... Just dont let the sun eat it.... So... again I covered the Bailing twine with Duct tape.... Served to keep things from moving and sun screened the twine.

I did the same fastening deal to the pipe corral.

For what its worth you can buy used Freeway signs on line they are painted or printed on very very heavy duty canvas.... So heavy they can be used as pond liners. Cut to fit with a little extra fold over PVC and clamp with a C clamp. Now you have a very flexible way to fasten your tarp down because you can move the fastening points any where you need them....

deb

Love hearing everyone's ingenious solutions to their building structures. We considered a carport structure but after seeing our neighbor's port collapse in the Santa Anas we went with a smaller sized pop-up canopy and buried it in the ground. I think it's the zig-zag folding metal structure at the top of these pop-ups and being made of sturdy metal that makes them so strong. We've seen cheap canopies with PVC snap-together frames and those aren't worth a darn. We don't have to tape or twine anything in the zig-zag metal frames - just replace the tarp with ball-ties once a year or after the Santa Anas rip the cover apart!
lau.gif

Do you have any foxes or coyotes get into the pipe corral after your horse or does the dog stay outdoors to patrol? Coyotes can hunt in packs sometimes and one horse alone would have a hard time of it.

How are your desert temps? Probably really hot summers and snowy winters?

Quote:
We get The Santa Anas too.... Sometimes the wind blows so hard the screens scream so loud its hard to have a conversation. The carports in the picture were all steel no PVC... Have to be because of my horse.... She messes with stuff... Big ole wiggly upper lip.... LOL. She was born on a big Percheron Farm in Sandy Idaho... and till she came to me was always in the heiarchy of a herd. I have watched her she is an Alpha.... And has deadly aim with all fours. One time she was blowing off steam in a round pen while I was training her and she punched a Size five hoof print right through 1/2 inch thick plywood. The "divot" landed a good fifteen feet away.

Here horses are not on the menue.... especially ones who dont run when confronted. For those who dont know Percherons are the size of a Budweiser Clydesdale... Size five foot is small for a draft horse... Riding horses feet are usually range from around a Zero to a one.

Her pipe corral is completely open.... I worry more about feral dogs... A fox may come up to drink out of her waterer but keep passing on through.

My high desert is about the same as San Diego in temperature.... but about half the humidity. And half the precipitation. WE do get about 72 hours worth of snow. Katee Wuvvs snow... One year it snowed so much it collapsed several shelters in the area including Katees All metal one.... The second one I tried. No Cross bracing... My fault. Lesson learned.

I have never used the carports for chicken enclosures or shelters.... but I do have enough undamaged components to put together one. Covered in metal and cross braced and anchored to the ground in some fashion.

deb

Thank you. We are in the high desert so precipitation isn't a huge issue. And we did overhang the metal roof front and back so hope that will be sufficient.
Nice coop Sorry I missed the original... been popping in and out.... So Welcome To BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High Desert. High desert is my favorite environment. Hows the wind in your area.... I bought my horse from a woman in Washougal Washington.... back in 2000.

When i built my first coop I sooo wanted to do what you have done. May still do a variation....

deb

Back
Top Bottom