post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thanks... We've got a lg and sm live animal trap set up and I'll inspect all birds tomorrow after my little girl gets on the bus... I know we have a stupid cat in the area... I think we will temporary get a 10'x10' dog kennel and line the bottom 2' with hardware cloth to try to secure them until the new coop/run is built.. I told him he can go hunting IF he gets the kennel to put them in ..... A good compoormise as long as we put the tarp over it for air protection.

Now... Any idea what I can safely put on the wounds to prevent infection and aid in healing?

I would try using one of the killed in the trap. May catch your culprit then. Good luck and so sorry for your losses!

I would try using one of the killed in the trap. May catch your culprit then. Good luck and so sorry for your losses!

I've got a gun and a nice place to dump it...if it's a fox I'll relocate it to the hunting camp.... Some of those guys like fox.... A coon or opossum I'll dump...

Last edited:
I've got a gun and a nice place to dump it...if it's a fox I'll relocate it to the hunting camp.... Some of those guys like fox.... A coon or opossum I'll dump...
If its a coon, get yourself a big bag or 2 of dog food, haul coon and dog food out to the hunting cabin. bring them all inside of the cabin. carefully open up the bags part way so that you can just barely get a handful of kibble out. Then, carefully release the raccoon inside of the cabin, and quickly lock the door behind you. It will look like they filmed a student horror movie there in 2 weeks.
wink.png

Lol well I will tell you there are no trees here in West Texas! At least I don't call them trees haha. I am from FAR Northern California so short mesquite trees don't look like trees to me. But what you see is an area that used to be a really popular lake just a few years ago, but is now dried up
hmm.png

There's no chance the lake will fill up again in a heavy downpour? As long as you can keep your shoreline it'll be a nice waterfront property again.
lol.png

Well, nowhere in the world can compare to our California Sequoias and giant Redwoods but still for Texas there's more trees than I was expecting to see!

If its a coon, get yourself a big bag or 2 of dog food, haul coon and dog food out to the hunting cabin. bring them all inside of the cabin. carefully open up the bags part way so that you can just barely get a handful of kibble out. Then, carefully release the raccoon inside of the cabin, and quickly lock the door behind you. It will look like they filmed a student horror movie there in 2 weeks.
wink.png

OMG... this sounds like a previous experience recounted
gig.gif
lau.gif
barnie.gif
I think pictures are a must here!

welcome-byc.gif
Megadeathcapital, and welcome to the thread!

Nice looking build. Just a couple of constructive comments: It appears that you live in an area where there are plenty of trees/brush/wooded space for wild critters like foxes/coons/etc. In which case:

1. You may want to (MUST!) consider wrapping the bottom 2-3 feet of the enclosed run area in 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent anything from reaching through that 2" x 4" field fence to grab your birds.
2. As part of that, it would be a very good idea to apron out or bury down additional 2 X 4 fencing or hardware cloth at least a foot to 2 feet to prevent digging animals from accessing the run. A fox, coon, ermine/weasel, stray dog or other, could dig under those bottom boards in very short order and be inside enjoying a chicken feast. The birds will help them gain easy access by digging holes next to the fence on the inside, as evidenced by that hole started in the back corner directly across from the gate by that mid-point ground board. It appears the soil there is dirt/clay and could be dug through very easily.
3. I see you used chicken wire inside to form a mini coop (for broodies? or injured?). That's a fine use there, but I would strongly recommend NOT using that for item #1/ 2. It works great at keeping chickens out/in, but is useless against ANY predator. They'll go right through it like a hot knife through butter for a chicken dinner.
4. Looks like the coop itself is elevated, but not really enough for the chickens to get underneath to get in or out. However, and I can't see clearly, could a small predator go underneath and access the run from under there? That's also a GREAT hiding/nesting place for rats and mice, which will/could create nightmares with them eating the chicken food (and or chickens?). The presence of the vermin will also attract snakes and other predators looking for a protein/meat meal, and a hiding place for them as well.

Good luck with your birds!

edited for spelling...

Last edited:
OMG... this sounds like a previous experience recounted :gig :lau :barnie   I think pictures are a must here!

So far no critters... But I'm watching those traps like a hawk... I think my husband would skin me... Hey.. I can do it to someone else :pop just sit back and watch the fun...

Last edited:
My neighbor had a partial roof he built a while back for some chickens. It was in his yard covered in junk shown here

I had to get the whole neighborhood to help me bring it a block away to my yard :)

Exactly a month ago today and some fencing materials and good ole sweat n tears this is how it's looking today!! :) :)

Still far from finished but so far happy with the outcome I will def post finished pics soon thanks for looking ya'll :)

Back
Top Bottom