post your chicken coop pictures here!

There are two reasons for no food or water in coops. One, food tolls rats and mice in. Two ,water in the coop can cause frost damage on the combs. I keep both in a covered run with wire all around and under. The chickens sleep inside away from either.

Question for those out there in the chicken world. Ive read its best to not have food or water in the actual coop. So what do I do if I'm going away for a few days ?

Don't tell my chickens that; their food and water is ALWAYS in the coop.
- I have a hanging feeder that always has food in it. I might make some treadle feeders for use in the summer because my girls forage all day long (sometimes at the feeder) but the wild birds, chipmunks, woodchuck and I don't know what else are freeloading.
- Their water is a 4' long 3/4" PVC pipe with 5 saddle nipples. That way they have access to water any time. I put the photocell switch on the PulletShut door spring of 2013 so they can get out of the coop at daylight and it shuts after they have gone to roost at night so if the water were not in the coop, they wouldn't ever be without when they wanted it. But the 5 gallon drink cooler that is the source of the water IS outside the coop. Easy to fill and I don't have to carry water into the coop.

Really depends on the size of the coop and whether or not you have a secure enough run that you feel comfortable leaving the pop door open while you're gone. A lot of people with larger coops have food and water inside them.

My coop is 6 by 10 with 8 hens and my covered run is 6 by 10 and I free range too.

I'm a total novice and love learning. Educate me on how to make water. I'm probably gonna buy a grandpas feeder. My hens arrive the end of February.

My coop is 6 by 10 with 8 hens and my covered run is 6 by 10 and I free range too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighStreetCoop

Really depends on the size of the coop and whether or not you have a secure enough run that you feel comfortable leaving the pop door open while you're gone. A lot of people with larger coops have food and water inside them.

Unless you have an auto chicken door or someone who will RELIABLY let them out of the coop EVERY MORNING, I would choose to have it in the coop.

I'm a total novice and love learning. Educate me on how to make water. I'm probably gonna buy a grandpas feeder. My hens arrive the end of February.

There is absolutely NO PROBLEM feeding and watering your birds INSIDE the coop! Vermin (rats/mice) are everywhere and can and will attempt to get to the feed whether it's inside or out. From the looks of your structure, I'm quite certain they'll have a rather difficult time getting inside when it's shut up. On the other hand, they'll have little problem participating in eating food you place in the run. The other issue with placing food in the run is it will attract wild birds to come partake and they can spread some nasty diseases to your flock.

If I might make a few recommendations? As @bruceha2000 did with his PVC pipe and nipple waterers, I did on a simpler level (for now... will be doing what he did this coming summer), I did it with a 5 gallon bucket, suspended from a rafter to NOT take up floor space. I fill it every 10-14 days or so, so very little work involved. (what can I say, I'm lazy).

In this pic, you can see the cord for the water heating element coming through a hole I cut in the lid. The lid keeps the water clean and debris free. The horizontal nipples take a little Teflon tape then screw into a 3/8ths inch hole you drill about 2" up from the bottom of the bucket. By hanging it from a rafter, I can raise or lower it for the size/age on the chicks/birds. I have 2-3 nipples in each bucket for 8-10 birds. I got the nipples from Ebay.

For feed, here's a pic of a "no spill" 5 gallon feeder made by @COChix from a home depot bucket. you can set this on the ground for young birds, and as they grow, it too can be suspended from a rafter to keep floor space open. They will hunker down and walk right under it. I think she said it will hold about 25 lbs of feed which will last 8-10 birds a week easily.
LL
LL

If you'll be gone for several days and want your birds to have access to grit/oyster shell inside the coop, you could do something like this:

I made these out of PVC and placed them between wall studs. free access for all the birds to grit and shell whenever they need it. they are out of the way and take up no floor space to speak of. Hope this helps
smile.png

Edit for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom