post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is a great Idea!!
thumbsup.gif

Hi everyone, I made a ladder for the chickens but they don't use it they seem to rather fly up and down to the roosts.. Any suggestions?

And the problem would be?

Climbing ladders is not exactly a natural chicken thing to do. And going down a ladder is pretty much an impossibility.

Jumping and wing flapping are natural chicken things to do. 3' is nothing to a full grown chicken, REALLY. One hop combined with 2 flaps and they are up. 4' takes an extra flap or two. They do need "runway" space to come down, at least twice the height of the roost. Better to put in a half height landing bar or platform if you don't have runway space or maybe for older birds that may get injured landing if the roost is high.

That ramp is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too steep.

And they don't need it since your roost bars are tiered. They can easily get from the ground to the highest one but since you have the lower two, they will likely go up in stages. I bet if you watch, you will see that is what they are doing.

Hi Peloton,

The top is definitely covered with wire, we do have some flying predators around as well as cats, ours being one of them. We actually built the run by building 4X8ft panels. That has allowed us to expand or move the coupe easily if so desired. The only change I would make would be to use smaller stucco wire, 1inch instead of 2inch. As I mentioned before we do have cats around and our little murderous friend has actually reached through the wire and snagged the hens a couple of times.

I have attached a couple more pictures for inspiration. All the best with your new hens.

You should turn those 2x4s to have the flat side up. Or if that is a pain, Screw new ones on top, flat side up.

And the problem would be?

Climbing ladders is not exactly a natural chicken thing to do. And going down a ladder is pretty much an impossibility.

Jumping and wing flapping are natural chicken things to do. 3' is nothing to a full grown chicken, REALLY. One hop combined with 2 flaps and they are up. 4' takes an extra flap or two. They do need "runway" space to come down, at least twice the height of the roost. Better to put in a half height landing bar or platform if you don't have runway space or maybe for older birds that may get injured landing if the roost is high.

That ramp is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too steep.

And they don't need it since your roost bars are tiered. They can easily get from the ground to the highest one but since you have the lower two, they will likely go up in stages. I bet if you watch, you will see that is what they are doing.
hi.. Thanks for the info

we got to move our chickens around, got them out of the old coop that went bad put 18 in new coop and 30 in new camper coop, then we will go get our Delaware blues and the will go in the coop, camper coop will not have any more added. now to get old camper out of yard, i talked to a man this morning who said he would come tomorrow or wed to pull it out and take it away, then we can back new camper in yard and put fence up to make 2 yards, hope to have it done by sat. or sun, poor chicks have been in so long now, they will not come out with the snow on ground, we will have to maybe put up a plywood fence for time being as some will try to get back into old yard. have a roos in each house.

I built the nesting box in garage today and thought I would show it off... Its 6' long all the exterior is weather proof Masonite with ceder trim.

It will be going in to the right of the door, under the window. Eventually there will be a 4' lean too over this side

Also eventually the exterior will be covered in vinyl siding. with the run to the back and side.

I built the nesting box in garage today and thought I would show it off... Its 6' long all the exterior is weather proof Masonite with ceder trim.

It will be going in to the right of the door, under the window. Eventually there will be a 4' lean too over this side

Also eventually the exterior will be covered in vinyl siding. with the run to the back and side.

A very neat job

we need help with chickens in new coop, they never sleep in the nest before, just went out to check them and ten of them are in nests, dh said tomorrow he would cover the nest, but they lay eggs before we get out there, we have roost higher then nest also they can lay on top of nest which there are 10 up there

Back
Top Bottom