post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hi everyone, I made a ladder for the chickens but they don't use it they seem to rather fly up and down to the roosts.. Any suggestions?

Hey GC, As long as they are able to fly up and down on their own, don't worry about the ladder
idunno.gif
You did say ladder vice ramp, so not sure how you could put seed/scratch on it...
hu.gif
They obviously don't need or want it. Maybe the rungs on the ladder are not spaced appropriately for them, or it's to narrow or to steep? Maybe the rungs aren't thick enough? (3" min is best)? Just some thoughts...

Hey GC,  As long as they are able to fly up and down on their own, don't worry about the ladder :idunno   You did say ladder vice ramp, so not sure how you could put seed/scratch on it... :confused: They obviously don't need or want it. Maybe the rungs on the ladder are not spaced appropriately for them, or it's to narrow or to steep?  Maybe the rungs aren't thick enough? (3" min is best)?  Just some thoughts...
hi LS, I have 2 ramps one inside and one going outside to the run. All of the chickens use them. On the ladder the Rung's are 5 inches apart and inch and half wide. My two main perches are 2*4s with the wide side up. I put the ladder in so they could get up to the two higher perches. Was afraid the would break a foot landing to hard.. Took ladder out now.

well i am beginning to think the lord don't want us to move old camper out of yard, was all ready to pull it out this morning and here comes the snow again, think we have had it with this winter, i have never had a cold winter like this in my 75 years on this earth, it needs to leave us alone

well i am beginning to think the lord don't want us to move old camper out of yard, was all ready to pull it out this morning and here comes the snow again, think we have had it with this winter, i have never had a cold winter like this in my 75 years on this earth, it needs to leave us alone

Seems like the east coast gets a couple bad storms a year, but this time you are getting them back to back to back

I love that. We're noobs and are starting our first flock in a few weeks. Can I assume that you covered the top of this run with wire? Tough to see from the pictures.

Thanks.

I love that. We're noobs and are starting our first flock in a few weeks. Can I assume that you covered the top of this run with wire? Tough to see from the pictures.

Thanks.

Hey Peloton
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the thread.

Not sure who you were addressing. Easier to identify if you use the quote button. Many folks use bird block netting over their runs to prevent airborne predators (hawks/owls/eagles/etc.) and serve a dual purpose of keeping other birds out to help prevent the spread of disease and theft of food. Here's a starting point if you're interested:

http://76.163.44.39/index.html

Hi Peloton,

The top is definitely covered with wire, we do have some flying predators around as well as cats, ours being one of them. We actually built the run by building 4X8ft panels. That has allowed us to expand or move the coupe easily if so desired. The only change I would make would be to use smaller stucco wire, 1inch instead of 2inch. As I mentioned before we do have cats around and our little murderous friend has actually reached through the wire and snagged the hens a couple of times.

I have attached a couple more pictures for inspiration. All the best with your new hens.

Back
Top Bottom