post your chicken coop pictures here!

Stupid me, I never thought of pavers on the inside! Next project!!! My yard looks moonscapish in spots. They have their favorite digging areas. Other areas are barriered off with rebar and plastic netting. Not beautiful! I don't let them out much, as my garden is important to me, AND we have stray and feral cats in the area that scare the girls up on to the fencing, and outside the fence is a precipitous drop down to the creek, and raccoons, so they can't be out unsupervised.

Here is my chicken tractor. The kennel on top os because I am transporting from the bathroom to tractor every evening it is not raining.

The part they roost in is in the back with a ladder up to it. Chain with a hook is attached to the door for easy opening and closing outside of the tractor.

This is all I have for now. I open it every day and let them free range then close it at night. I'm going to build a permanent run that I can walk in so they can come and go whenever they want grass and dirt. Plus cleaning off my pool deck because it gets full of their poo is getting old. Im a newbie that is hooked on chickens!

Last edited:
The cat is a stray that has claimed me. I definately have to watch him with the babies, but right now they are never left alone.

Stupid me, I never thought of pavers on the inside! Next project!!! My yard looks moonscapish in spots. They have their favorite digging areas. Other areas are barriered off with rebar and plastic netting. Not beautiful! I don't let them out much, as my garden is important to me, AND we have stray and feral cats in the area that scare the girls up on to the fencing, and outside the fence is a precipitous drop down to the creek, and raccoons, so they can't be out unsupervised.

When our 6-ft block wall goes up to replace the chainlink fence around our property we've asked the contractor to add additional privacy fencing along the top of the wall which will add another 1-2 feet more in height to the wall. Hopefully this will not just keep chickens inside but moreso to deter feral cats jumping over. We found our 2-ft rabbit fence around my garden and patio not only makes a barrier for the chickens but it keeps the feral/stray cats out at night so they don't use my raised bed soil as their toilet! I thought the cats would just jump over the 2-ft rabbit fence but guess they don't like the flimsy feel of the wire fence and they have stayed out! A couple times newer chickens flew over the 2-ft rabbit fencing but we gently picked them up or slowly ushered them out an opening in the fence and they usually never fly in again. These chickens quicky pick-up on the areas they are or aren't allowed. New girls will fly to the top of our little coop but after gently picking them up off the roof they know not to go back up again. These birds are so much smarter than we give them credit. An owner said they left their yard gate open but because the chickens were never allowed out that gate they dutifully stayed inside even though it was left wide open. These methods may not work on wilder temperament independent personalities like Campine (Braekels), Appenzell, Fayoumi, Jaerhon, game birds, etc, etc, but for the more common backyard breeds of chickens they seem to respect boundaries/fences more. As flightly as Leghorns are supposed to be we've never had one go awol on us.

If you search this site for clarkechick's coop you will see my first coop. I'm on to my second flock and coop number two is bigger and hopefully better! The cute thing about it that you miss is that it is a mini version of my house so it looks pretty cute sitting in the yard!

You can see more details on my project here:
https://livingjlc.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/chickens-round-2/
So that's what leftover housepaint is for! To make the coop match the house - very cute!

The chickens might find it awkward to use the ladder ramp when it is so close to the wire wall. They need a little floor space at the end of the ramp to jump straight down - at least my flightless Silkies do. My Ameraucana likes to jump straight down from the ladder too. Someone solved this issue by building an L-shaped ladder with a platform halfway down for their chickens to descend comfortably. I'm having an issue with my ladder because the opening from the coop floor is too close to the coop wall but that was the way the mfr designed it - I may not use it since it might be too tight for the comfort of my bigger hens. I understand what the mfr was doing making the ladder opening in the floor so close to the wall because it allowed more floor space. After the coop is fully assembled we'll see if the chickens even bother to use it otherwise I'll just set the ladder at the outside pop-door.

Back
Top Bottom