post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is our big coop, where we keep the meat chickens. It doubles as a storage area for my mowers, tiller, etc.

The meat birds inside.

This is the little coop where our egg hens will reside.

This is the inside of the little coop. We are putting a concrete floor in and still need to build the roosts and nesting boxes.

A couple days ago, we finished putting up the fence for their run. Since we live in town, we don't have the option to free range, so we wanted to give them as large a run as possible. The sandbox is filled with diatomaceous earth and we are leaving the tree limb there for them to "play" on.

Great digs! WONDERFUL play area which your chickens will absolutely LOVE.
thumbsup.gif

Whoops - don't want to put a damper on your box of DE but here's an article about DE that made me give away my expensive unopened pure white food grade DE:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk.html

My DE bag had more warnings than a bottle of lye. If it had that much potential risk to humans that have to wear a mask and/or goggles to protect eyes/lungs then I didn't want to risk my chicken's smaller eyes/lungs. Chickens get a lot of respiratory issues easily - from certain kinds of ash sometimes including supposedly safe wood ash, DE, Sevin dust, and even certain chemicals or fumes (like cedar wood and cedar chips emissions, etc). I just let them use plain ole' dirt for dust-baths (I may invest in a very little bit of ordinary sand to mix in my hard dirt in their raised dust-bath box but VERY little). I use organic Poultry Protector spray per label directions on each chicken 1x a month and in the cracks/crevices of their nestboxes and perches during cleanout and I've been lice/mite free for 3 years now. My egg-seller friend used DE and says there's no results using it and will not purchase another bag for her flock - especially with all the warnings on the label and all the snake-oil cures it supposedly covers - a little suspect to us and just a gimmick to lure uninformed chickeneers into purchasing the expensive stuff. Chickens have been using dirt-bathing successfully for centuries so why fix something that ain't broke?

Everyone needs to make up their own minds and it took me 3 months staring at my DE bag before I chose to go the way of caution on something that has 50/50 risks. I have had such success with Poultry Protector especially since it's organically safe that I don't regret giving away my DE bag for one moment. I've had quite a bit of discussions with experienced chickeneers on other BYC threads and many are beginning to doubt or have completely discontinue DE use from their own experiences - and especially on their delicate babies. Many couldn't figure out why some of their chickens were coming down with recurring respiratory infections. I personally have had a couple Leghorns who wee notorious sneezers just from ordinary dust - I can't imagine how they'd react to foreign additives like powders, dusts, and fumes.

I am so jealous of all the room you have LOL! I miss our old 25 acres and even though I am retired in a city zone now I still think of my farm roots! Our backyard chickens still give us a little feel of the old Country Life. Have you ever watched "Green Acres" with Eva Gabor and Eddie Albert? That was how I started out farm life as a kid - open walls leading directly outside, no electricity, a WWII barracks later converted to our farmhouse, an old Stagecoach, Buckboard, Horsedrawn Plow, Steamer Trunk, and Tack Room items from the late 1800's left in the barn (the property used to be an old Stagecoach Stop) really interesting stuff I never appreciated when I was a kid!

This is my new coop. The rains have kept me from dressing it up, but my chickies are not quite old enough yet, just 4 weeks and still in the garage in my 'daycare' pen
Here's our daycare pen
That is an absolutely adorable coop. We didn't get anything that nice with our first 4x6 backyard coop and found with 4 chickens we had to add more run space to it and ultimately gave up and let them free-range.

It took us 3 years of nervously and gradually realizing that they were quite hardy as backyard free-rangers. We set up a bunch of low lean-to's around the yard against fences and buildings for them to hide/snooze under and away from hawk eyes. We've had Cooper's Hawks for the last 2 years and they are very bold sitting on the fence not 5 feet from us watching our hens and the wild birds at the wild feeder (the hens wisely know how to quickly hide themselves without needing a rooster). I feel those lean-to's and a lot of them are an absolute must for free-range chickens. Our first one was a makeshift plank on stones, then we added a covered recycled doghouse, but now we've expanded and painted/weatherized more low 12-inch high lean-to's and secured them on sturdy cinder blocks - looks a bit nicer than our initial first build and gives our hens a bunch of safe areas no matter where in the yard they're foraging. We eventually will have one in the middle of the backyard after landscaping and taking out a 60-year-old cracked patio slab - little baby steps at a time. Chicken digs are like work on a home - it's never done!

That is an absolutely adorable coop. We didn't get anything that nice with our first 4x6 backyard coop and found with 4 chickens we had to add more run space to it and ultimately gave up and let them free-range.

It took us 3 years of nervously and gradually realizing that they were quite hardy as backyard free-rangers. We set up a bunch of low lean-to's around the yard against fences and buildings for them to hide/snooze under and away from hawk eyes. We've had Cooper's Hawks for the last 2 years and they are very bold sitting on the fence not 5 feet from us watching our hens and the wild birds at the wild feeder (the hens wisely know how to quickly hide themselves without needing a rooster). I feel those lean-to's and a lot of them are an absolute must for free-range chickens. Our first one was a makeshift plank on stones, then we added a covered recycled doghouse, but now we've expanded and painted/weatherized more low 12-inch high lean-to's and secured them on sturdy cinder blocks - looks a bit nicer than our initial first build and gives our hens a bunch of safe areas no matter where in the yard they're foraging. We eventually will have one in the middle of the backyard after landscaping and taking out a 60-year-old cracked patio slab - little baby steps at a time. Chicken digs are like work on a home - it's never done!

Sylvester017, thank you for the compliment. Not everybody was on board at first for the chicken venture, so yeah, I did go out of my way to make it aesthetic!! Now that my chicks are 4 wks and more active, I'm realizing they will need a lot more free range time than I had first intended. I'm so glad you mentioned the hideouts, we have bird feeders too, and occasionally the hawks do scope us out. A lot of the yard is under pine tree cover, however a lot if it isn't too!
My hens are so unwilling to bond with us, how do you ever get them back in the coop at night?

Since I'm building this on my own I went with a shed from Home Depot.

The "vent hole" that came with the shed on the left, my cut out on the right.

Once the weather improves I'll start working on all the extras. Windows, roost, automatic door.

My husband got a bunch of lumber in an auction a month ago, in the lumber was pecky Cyprus logs. So he cut them down, is sizing it so he can make my 6 Banty a coop/run. I'm excited!!!! I know its going to be 6 foot tall so I can go inside (I'm 5'8"). Pictures soon to come.

Last edited:
Sylvester017, thank you for the compliment. Not everybody was on board at first for the chicken venture, so yeah, I did go out of my way to make it aesthetic!! Now that my chicks are 4 wks and more active, I'm realizing they will need a lot more free range time than I had first intended. I'm so glad you mentioned the hideouts, we have bird feeders too, and occasionally the hawks do scope us out. A lot of the yard is under pine tree cover, however a lot if it isn't too!
My hens are so unwilling to bond with us, how do you ever get them back in the coop at night?

Chickens/pullets have to be locked up in the coop for about 2 weeks to get used to everything inside and realize it will be their "safe" haven. Our first chickens were 2 Silkie pets which were locked up 24/7 in the 4x6 coop but it was roomy enough for two bantams. Then a month later we added a rescued White Leghorn pullet - the breeder had too many from her school project. One of the Silkies was a roo and was re-homed because we aren't zoned for roos. At this time we were taking the chickens out to sample range them in a covered run made out of rabbit fencing and covered with bird netting because the coop run was too confining for them.

Then we were gifted a Marans pullet from the White Leg breeder so now we were up to 3 chickens after giving away the roo and there was no problem by this time having them all go into the coop at night to roost. It took about two months of mostly keeping all these added pullets in the coop for them to go in on their own at dusk. In fact, they refused to lay their eggs anywhere outside the coop and used only the nestboxes. It takes a little time for some to realize the coop is "safe" for the night if they've never been in one before.

Don't worry about bonding. All you need is yummy mealworms or boiled eggs or cucumbers or some treat in your hand and one of the bolder chickens will eventually check it out. Once the chickens realize you mean "food" you won't be able to keep them away. They'll think they're lap dogs. Some people sit low in the coop run with treats to "play" with the chickens. Some people put treats or wild bird seed in a short trail leading into the coop then close up the coop once the chickens are in. Chickens are naturally wary and are creatures of habit. It takes baby steps to get a bond going. Two of our recent pullets were kept inhouse in a pen where we socialized them using their own name and there was no problem with them later outside - one was an APA Ameraucana and the other a skittish Buff Leghorn who lets us carry her around now (picking up and carrying around chickens is another issue - never pick up from their side back end where the egg production goes on but scoop from the front between their legs with one hand while holding down their wings with the other hand and hold firmly but gently against your body - they like security). This also may take a few times too. We started out with Silkies which are an easy breed to handle and eventually all the larger fowl followed their lead.

To "bond" with a chicken you'll have to be in a place where they can't escape your presence (like the coop run with the coop pop door closed so they can't escape inside it while you're in the coop - it takes time to spend just sitting still while they explore around you. Have a treat placed in front or to the side of you. The bolder chickens can't resist something yummy and eventually get used to your presence and that you mean "food". Dead crickets are a treat. (The alive crickets jump away too fast). Tossing a little dry mealworms gently on the floor is a tempter and shows them you are feeding them. Cucumber slice centers are fun for them. You'll work it out. Just takes time if they weren't socialized 24/7 by you when they were juvies.

We learned about the low ground lean-to's (an old board plank raised 12-inches with 6 paver stones supporting each end) quite by accident as we wanted to shade their water bowl from the sun. But we noticed they were using it throughout the day to snooze. They were also using an old climbing rose bush against the fence to sleep under as well. That's when I realized they didn't use the coop during the day except to lay their eggs. So we next got a big recycled dog house and saw them dive into it when there was a Cooper's Hawk alarm clucking. That's when it dawned on us that it was not a place for them to rest but a place to "hide" from aerial predators. We set up two more planks on cinder blocks against the fence and building walls. And now we recycle old doors, shelving, old coffee tables, etc to use as these lean-to's around the yard. Eventually they get painted and weather proofed to look a bit nicer but initially we just want to make safe shelters for them in our open yard - we have a pop-up canopy for shade because we have no trees in the yard to encourage a place for predators to perch. Most of our neighbors have chopped down their old trees too because of Raccoons and Squirrels. The only trees I have are dwarf Pomegranate bushes and dwarf Meyer Lemon bush and not in the free-range area so the yard is pretty exposed except for the many shelters. Our girls are very predator savvy without a roo for protection. 3 years of free-ranging has taught us a lot about the hardiness of hens and we still keep learning.

Also don't forget about worming/lice/mite control on a regular schedule. PM me if you want our method that has been successful for 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom