post your chicken coop pictures here!

I

Garden Coop with minor mods. 8 hens.

I love this!!! What's the dimensions? I have 6 Banty chicks who will be going to the coop/run soon.

Well I got them full grown and have been getting 5-7 eggs daily (5 days) but will only let them out an hour before sunset. Houston city does not allow free range (no roosters also). Next week will be interesting as I hope they remember where home is.

Those darn cities! We're in county area so a little less restrictive but still no roos allowed. It's nice that you give big RIRs that hour free-range as they will become creatures of habit and let you know if you forget to let them out for that one hour sunset excursion LOL ! Ours know they get a treat before roost time and they all line up in a row waiting on us to come out - who needs a clock?

It is a kind of wood board that fits together. The "tongue" is on one side and the "grove" on the other so the fit together seamlessly.

Being horizontally positioned tongue and groove on your coop will it be fairly watertight in rain?

I just always wonder about leak issues - it's one of the reasons I question outside access egg boxes with the lids that lift up to reach the eggs. I've seen reviews that say there can be some leaking. We don't get rain often and then usually lightly but 1 or 2 x a year we can get a ridiculous downpour that floods the raised bed garden boxes and we have to completely tarp our coop to keep it as dry as possible during those times. Chickens love rain but not the downpours and they stay hiding then.

Being horizontally positioned tongue and groove on your coop will it be fairly watertight in rain?

I just always wonder about leak issues - it's one of the reasons I question outside access egg boxes with the lids that lift up to reach the eggs. I've seen reviews that say there can be some leaking. We don't get rain often and then usually lightly but 1 or 2 x a year we can get a ridiculous downpour that floods the raised bed garden boxes and we have to completely tarp our coop to keep it as dry as possible during those times. Chickens love rain but not the downpours and they stay hiding then.

Greetings Sylvester: Here's a pic of tongue and groove boards:

As you can see, the "tongue" slides into the "groove" to "lock" the boards together tightly and prevent warping/slipping, etc. You COULD use them horizontally and many do. You just should ensure that the tongue part is facing up and the groove facing down to prevent water pooling in the groove. You can also place a small bead of caulk (or wood glue) either at the peak of the tongue or inside the groove before mating, and that should add an additional sealing characteristic. After seating the board, you simply wipe away any excess caulk that oozes out.

edit to add: After complete, if used on an exterior surface, a good coat of waterproofing sealant, stain, or paint will ensure zero leakage :)

Last edited:
Greetings Sylvester: Here's a pic of tongue and groove boards:

As you can see, the "tongue" slides into the "groove" to "lock" the boards together tightly and prevent warping/slipping, etc. You COULD use them horizontally and many do. You just should ensure that the tongue part is facing up and the groove facing down to prevent water pooling in the groove. You can also place a small bead of caulk (or wood glue) either at the peak of the tongue or inside the groove before mating, and that should add an additional sealing characteristic. After seating the board, you simply wipe away any excess caulk that oozes out.

edit to add: After complete, if used on an exterior surface, a good coat of waterproofing sealant, stain, or paint will ensure zero leakage :)

Is this anything similar to what is called "board and batten"? I see the term used in Amish-built coops and wonder what it actually means other than they look like ordinary wood boards to me. Would your opinion be that stained/sealed Board & Batten is better than "Duratemp" painted walls? I think with stained/sealed woods you have to seal/stain them more often than Duratemp painted walls?

All opinions/experiences welcome!

"board and batten" means vertical boards (usually 6", 8" or 10" wide) with a narrow board (the "batten) - usually 1 1/2" or 2" - placed over the seams between the vertical larger boards. If you want low maintenance (and lower cost) go with the duratemp; if you are more interested in the aesthetic appeal and don't mind the extra maintenance and cost, go with board&batten.

Back
Top Bottom