post your chicken coop pictures here!

Our backyard is fenced in. Biggest problem we have is our peekapoo dog!! I have the run made with poultry wire and then a 2 foot high hardware cloth reinforcement

Our "La Maison des Poulets" is nearly completed.

We finally have our beach house chicken coop finished! It's 10 feet long and 3 feet wide. I am not sure how tall. I would say 6 feet at the tallest point. Not a moment too soon either, the chicks were jumping out of their temporary brooder! So far they love it. The ramp is a little steep for them still, but they have been climbing up and sliding/flying down it. We did use chicken wire, but we do not have much wildlife to worry about. Mostly cats and some crazy squirrels. (they keep planting peanuts for me)

We live in Central FL, it gets hot here and we tend to have a lot of rain. The run is sand, which should help the rain percolate through and not puddle. The roof is painted white to help reflect the sunlight, and also sloped so the rain runs off better. The roof over the run is white metal. So far we have pine in the nesting box area.
But I am interested in putting something "scoopable" there instead. We still need to add another vent and probably some more ventilation holes too.

I am sure the white trim won't stay white for long, but it matches our house, and it looks nice now :)

Darling coop and chicks!

You think your chicks aren't liking the ramp? We have Silkies and 2 LF and when we remade another ramp (the old one was too narrow) we put the steps on the ramp 4 inches apart. I read that 3 inches apart is for Silkies. Well we compromised with the 4 inches so the LF can use it comfortably also. I saw one homemade ramp where the guy zig-zagged the steps on the ramp in a "Z" pattern all the way up. Never saw that before and keep wondering how it's working for his flock.

Chickens scatter nesting material everywhere. We use straw but it isn't scoopable. We use plastic gloves to clean out the poops in the straw and it uses up a lot of straw - but straw is cheapest for us to use. As for having something easily scoopable - let me know if you find anything!

I love the beachy color also....so refreshing somehow! Only things I didn't see (doesn't mean it wasn't there, LOL) what about roost? Even little ones have that instinct. And you will need to put a board (maybe 4") across the front of the nesting box. They will eventually get into their box to lay and scratch around .....throwing the nesting material right out of the box! Mine did and I went back to put it in. LOLOL Mine was hard to get to so that was comical ! When you have the roost.....don't forget to put in a poop board right below it so you can remove it and clean it easily. They poop all night looooong ! I would love to have your coop in my backyard...except, I would have to put the 1/4" hardware cloth wiring on it....too many predators here in the country !!!
thumbsup.gif
Just thought of something really important......When you are cleaning out the coop or the poop board, not only use gloves....put a mask on. Dust flies everywhere. Especially if you use DE,,,,,please wear a mask! It is very advantageous to use in your coop to keep lice/mites, flies, etc at bay, it can harm your lungs. You should also spread it in the coop while the ladies are out in the run...they don't need to be breathing it in either.. That said...don't let it scare you, a lot of us use it,,, we are just careful,,,,better than battling the bugs after they get in! LOLOL I especially put in the creveces, etc. It is food grade so if they (or you) get in their digestive system, its fine. When I clean the run, other than just doing the kitty litter scoop), I turn the sand and include DE in it. That's also when I make sure the girls are in the coop and I have a mask on. I have asthma anyway so I don't mess around! LOL

Darling coop and chicks!

You think your chicks aren't liking the ramp? We have Silkies and 2 LF and when we remade another ramp (the old one was too narrow) we put the steps on the ramp 4 inches apart. I read that 3 inches apart is for Silkies. Well we compromised with the 4 inches so the LF can use it comfortably also. I saw one homemade ramp where the guy zig-zagged the steps on the ramp in a "Z" pattern all the way up. Never saw that before and keep wondering how it's working for his flock.

Chickens scatter nesting material everywhere. We use straw but it isn't scoopable. We use plastic gloves to clean out the poops in the straw and it uses up a lot of straw - but straw is cheapest for us to use. As for having something easily scoopable - let me know if you find anything!
This is what I'm using (along with some food-grade DE in the mix)....it IS a superstar!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=sand

Just thought of something really important......When you are cleaning out the coop or the poop board, not only use gloves....put a mask on. Dust flies everywhere. Especially if you use DE,,,,,please wear a mask! It is very advantageous to use in your coop to keep lice/mites, flies, etc at bay, it can harm your lungs. You should also spread it in the coop while the ladies are out in the run...they don't need to be breathing it in either.. That said...don't let it scare you, a lot of us use it,,, we are just careful,,,,better than battling the bugs after they get in! LOLOL I especially put in the creveces, etc. It is food grade so if they (or you) get in their digestive system, its fine. When I clean the run, other than just doing the kitty litter scoop), I turn the sand and include DE in it. That's also when I make sure the girls are in the coop and I have a mask on. I have asthma anyway so I don't mess around! LOL
Thanks for the specifics. I have asthma too. So I will definitely wear a mask. I like the idea of food grade DE. Just need to find it in bulk. I bought some from a health food store once when I had an intestinal parasite :( yuck :( But it worked. So yes, it is actually good for you...just not to breath in (silica in your lungs is not good) :)
Thanks again!

Thanks for the specifics. I have asthma too. So I will definitely wear a mask. I like the idea of food grade DE. Just need to find it in bulk. I bought some from a health food store once when I had an intestinal parasite :( yuck :( But it worked. So yes, it is actually good for you...just not to breath in (silica in your lungs is not good) :)
Thanks again!

a lot of websites out there that sell it, the company I used was Pure Earth. Not sure of the website. Just do a search and you can make up your own mind as who you want to use. Good Luck with your birds!!!

Back
Top Bottom