post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hi, I looked at using pvc and even using pvc pipes to make a lightweight tractor, but after looking at the safety of pvc and the effect on the environment I am trying to minimize the use of it on my coop. I will still probably use some for automated watering and feeding. But I do worry about the offgasing for boards that would be used to enclose the coop. I think it would not be a healthy environment for the chickens. It also appears quite expensive. I am using cedar boards to keep it lightweight.

Thank you for the advice on the breeds. I don't think I would be able to free range them. Too many predators and I work full time. For now at least the plan is to keep them in the chicken tractor and move it every day. So it looks like the Hamburgs may not be a good fit. I am going to a chicken swap in Feb, so have to get the coop built soon!

I'm doing research and starting to make plans for a tractor coop and was wondering if you guys had suggestions about building materials and size. I will make the run detachable so that it will be easier to move. I think I'm fairly set on my idea for the run part, but still working on ideas for the coop. Does anyone (especially those in colder climates) have any ideas about a good light weight, but weather and predator proof siding material? I was thinking about using 2x4's to frame the base for strength but using 2x2's for the rest of the frame (as people have noted earlier in this thread). I will have a stationary coop and run (coming with the house I'm buying, also comes with 11? hens and a roo plus it looks like they have a few pullets in another small coop/run), but I would like to set up a system where I can move at least some of them around the yard/garden during the spring/summer/fall. I would like to be able to move all of them, but I don't think I could design something big enough for them that I can easily move by myself. I may eventually have to make 2... How big is as big as you can go without being cumbersome (I know this depends on the materials)?

Also, in considering wheel design, I like the idea of what is on the Urban Coop II (in the tractor coop section). It looks like it would be easy to steer, but would require lifting one end while moving it, which would limit the size. I also like the idea Roswell is designing for his/her? coop with the wheels that swing out or under (thank you for linking the video). It looks easy to make, and can be used for a bigger coop, but looks like it might be hard to turn... Any thoughts? (I would like to keep it a simple design.)

As for nest box ideas, what about a box that has a flip up door on the side? Shouldn't have the leaking issues of the top access door, but also shouldn't get as wet as a flip down side access door. (I realize that I would still get wet without a canopy or umbrella.) Actually, if you had stacked nests, the door would be 2'+, it would give a small amount of shelter when flipping it up, just need a stick or piece of wood to prop it up. Any thoughts?

I won't be able to start buying materials until after closing on the house in Feb., so just starting to make plans.

I am doing something similar, a chicken tractor with a detachable run. I haven't started on the run yet, still trying to figure out the coop part. Would you mind sharing what is the design you will be following for the run? I am thinking of using cypress posts for the bottom, I got a good deal on 50 cypress posts 5' long 1x1 at craigslist.
thank you in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

@Sylvester017
Thank you! She's turned into quite a photogenic little lady. She charges me every time she sees my camera and then stops to pose...usually giving me an exaggerated head tilt or profile view.

As for those animals that grab us...that seems to be each an every one of the beasties I currently look after.
That is so very cool! We've loved all our "beasties" also over the years but I admit there's always one or two that will stand out uniquely in our memories.

I'm also partial to the small combs; rose in particular for esthetics in addition to practicality being in NE.
We keep our current flock to pea or walnut combs and in the Spring will be getting a "no comb" Breda along with a Blue Ameraucana. Never had a Breda before and was told they were gentle.

I think the Silver Spangled are also gorgeous and they had them there when I got my pullets but all were spoken for. In hindsight, I'm thankful for that for a couple of reasons. I've heard/read a lot about people losing their Silvers to predators because they are so contrasted with their environment and easily targeted. I can't even tell you how many times I've lost my Golden girl when she's gone into hiding, even when I know I'm looking in the area she's hidden herself; she's so well camouflaged. Another reason is although Hamburgs in general aren't very common anymore, the Silver Spangled variety is much easier to come by than the Goldens which makes me want to help preserve them.
I too like to support breeders of rare or endangered varieties. I like using the 2x2x2 method of raising varieties (i.e. 2 Silkies, 2 Ameraucanas, 2 etc) but being limited to 5 zoned hens my Breda will be odd man out without a breed companion. I never had a Breda before and hesitanted getting two of them. Also they have a higher price tag so I want to try the bird first before investing that much into another. I don't think personality will be an issue with the Breda but as with most rare breeds they have more health issues because of scarce diverse breeding stock to develop hardier birds. There are some great people on this thread developing rare breeds stock and my hat's off to them!

Thank you for the advice on the breeds. I don't think I would be able to free range them. Too many predators and I work full time. For now at least the plan is to keep them in the chicken tractor and move it every day. So it looks like the Hamburgs may not be a good fit. I am going to a chicken swap in Feb, so have to get the coop built soon!

No chicken really likes confinement. It's just that some breeds are easier to pen up than others. Really active foragers, wilder or self-willed temperament breeds, will go bonkers in confinement and could lead to squabbles and/or injuries. The main thing after deciding compatibility of temperaments and sizes is that your chickens are safe. A tractor sounds like a safe way to go in your situation. We had our little coop ready for a couple weeks before getting our chickens. We started with two Silkie bantams and added a Leghorn. The Leghorn was not a good choice. Too active and assertive for bantams so we were amazed she stayed gentle for 3 years before going bonkers on all her flockmates. We had the Marans for only a few weeks before having to rehome that bully. The other Leghorn we had went bonkers on her flockmates at only 1 y/o! After going through 9 chickens and breeds in 3 years we're down to 3 hens left and are happy with the gentle lightweight breeds that are left. Whew!
yesss.gif

Hi, I've been using Proplex - its a corrugated plastic sheet which has protected my hens from predators / cold weather - good luck making your run! It sounds interesting!

Back
Top Bottom