post your chicken coop pictures here!

Be prepared to replace that one sooner than later. The wood is terrible and doesn't last. Was glad to see the improvements made to the design from last year to this one. Lock blocks on nesting floor, extra door latches etc ...but the wall/roof of nest box still has a leaking issue. The slide out tray has no lock.roost bar is too small, ventilation is still horrible, but at least there is a pop door now. And the wood rots in a season.

Nice job, did you have to paint/stain it? Depends on where you are, Your or your chickens might outgrow them soon. Heard of chicken math? I designed and built mine last spring/summer now am wishing I had doubled the size of my coop/shed.

Spartan22 it came that way. Wthrlady, I realize this won't last forever, it is just to get started. I already have big plans for my girls housing and run. Isn't hard to come up with materials as I am in the construction business. Just really busy and didn't have time to build what I want before the chics go from brooder to coop. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I almost bought one of those last May cause I only want 2 hens but came home with 10 on an impulse and end up doing my first ever building project LOL, never held building tools.
1f60a.png

Fortunately I have lots of tools and am a fair builder. For things I don't know or can't do, my step dad is basically a master craftsman and he has all the tools. I too tend to go overboard but I controlled my urges and only got 4 hens to start but that will change. Considering raising meat chickens at some point.

Is anyone else stuck at work wishing they were home building something for their coop or run? lol Its been great weather this weekend here in NY and I've had to work 7am-7pm both days...by the time I get home its too dark to do much and I'm too tired lol....the only good thing is its been a slow day so I can sit in my office and read a million different ways to build a waterer and feeder for the coop and run....I think I've settled on PVC feeders and for water I'm gonna go with horizontal nipples into 1inch pvc fed by a 35gal drum that I just located here at work...ordered the nipples from ebay a little while ago too! Thank god I rotate back to a day shift this week...I'll be off at 1pm all week so I can get some work done!

I think i have enough ventilation. I purchased some moisture pack things with carbon balls inside and placed them in the coop. t
They arw supposed to draw out moisture. We use them in the house during winter. No water collected at the bottom so I think that's a good sign. There is the vent you see the front and the nesting boxes all have holes with sliding doors accessible from the outside. I'm a little worried about that now though. There's also a vent near the top of the roof but I think I will make one in the door that I'm going to make in the back of the coop. I'm not exactly sure what kind of wire we purchased. It seems sturdy and it's doubled up. I'll try to get a photo in before work tomorrow! Thank you for all of your help.

The moisture packs might be nice for moisture control but not an answer to ammonia ventilation. Curious chickens might peck and break open moisture packs unless they are mounted high out of reach of their beaks - chickens will shred and just about eat ANYTHING.

Whatever you use for ventilation cover the holes with 1/2" hardwire to keep out small wildlife and wild birds. Ventilation should not blow wind onto roosting hens - chickens can cuddle for warmth in the cold but they can't get out of drafts.

You sound like a worrier like me! I love the care and thought you are putting into your coop!

Is anyone else stuck at work wishing they were home building something for their coop or run? lol Its been great weather this weekend here in NY and I've had to work 7am-7pm both days...by the time I get home its too dark to do much and I'm too tired lol....the only good thing is its been a slow day so I can sit in my office and read a million different ways to build a waterer and feeder for the coop and run....I think I've settled on PVC feeders and for water I'm gonna go with horizontal nipples into 1inch pvc fed by a 35gal drum that I just located here at work...ordered the nipples from ebay a little while ago too! Thank god I rotate back to a day shift this week...I'll be off at 1pm all week so I can get some work done!

Nipple waterers are wonderful for keeping drinking water clean. I only have 3 chickens but between them and the wild birds I got tired of dirty poops and weeds kicked into the water. My girls free-range and since there's only 3 of them I got two Brite Tap Rubbermaid portable nipple waterers from www.chickenwaterers.com - I can move them around to keep in shade in the yard as the seasonal sun changes directions. The water stays so clean and insulated cool inside the containers. Ice cubes in summer is an added touch for really hot days. And if I needed to I can strap or hang the coolers inside the coop. I have two Brite Taps just as an added backup should one ever leak out (not likely just good sense).

Back
Top Bottom