post your chicken coop pictures here!

Treats
Teach them to come when called with treats like grapes or some thing they really love!
So when you need to get them in you just go into pen and they will follow!
wee.gif

Pick up a roll of aviary netting. It's cheap and easy to use. Just spread it over the top of your run and secure it to the run wire...it should keep the birds in and any flying predators out.

I was thinking about that. The run came with a cover but I'm not sure it will fit the 5'x15' set up. It was a combo either/or 10'x10' or 5'x15' run. We chose the longer one.

Treats
Teach them to come when called with treats like grapes or some thing they really love!
So when you need to get them in you just go into pen and they will follow! :weee

I tried. They are still mad about the move. Don't know why. A bigger coop... Nicer yard.... New hens in the group. Go figure.
1f60a.png

Oh look!!! I think I figured out the multiple quote thing. Finally.
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Oh and you know your in trouble when you start dreaming you wake up to 30 pairs if
1f423.png
1f440.png
watching you from the incubator and you rush to check because it's only day 19...
1f602.png
then dream your IN THE EGG about to hatch like a chick.

They do like grapes...but watch out for the greedy little youngster who tries to swallow one whole....I had one bird almost choke to death on a grape...had to turn him upside down and gently work the grape back out his throat as he was going limp and blue....so watch the grapes....I squish them or at least cut them in half (I have bantam and regular size birds in my flock)
Birds are creatures of habit...the new coop may be bigger and better, but they will stubbornly return to the familiar coop

They do like grapes...but watch out for the greedy little youngster who tries to swallow one whole....I had one bird almost choke to death on a grape...had to turn him upside down and gently work the grape back out his throat as he was going limp and blue....so watch the grapes....I squish them or at least cut them in half (I have bantam and regular size birds in my flock)
Birds are creatures of habit...the new coop may be bigger and better, but they will stubbornly return to the familiar coop

Let them try. I'll record them walking down the side of the road heading to the old house 5 miles away. I've kept them in the new coop for a week now. Plenty big so I'm not worried but now the run is up so I need to set up the access. At lunch my husband says... Next weekend I'm beating. Big baby likes to procrastinate.

Sorry about that...they will return until you confine them to the new coop...if you have the netting, I would install it...and then treat them within the new coop and run for at least a week. Close up the old one so they can't get into it....or removed it.

Sorry about that...they will return until you confine them to the new coop...if you have the netting, I would install it...and then treat them within the new coop and run for at least a week. Close up the old one so they can't get into it....or removed it.

It's gone. I've kept them locked up like you said. The new run will be directly against the coop so hopefully they will get used to it. The big roosters are in my soon to be "baby" coop so they will be culled and the new eggs should start hatching in a few days. LOCKDOWN TIME!!!! I'm getting so excited. As my crazy dreams last night show quite well. I dreamed I found ALL 30 hatched this morning and freaked because it was only day 19... Then dreamed I was in my own little shell waiting to hatch
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
funny how the mind works while you sleep.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience or knowledge of chickens around a tortoise ? My only concern is if the chickens get curious and peck at the tortoises eyes ??

Pardon all the snow. We got a ton last night. I am in Heaven. Love love snow! My chickens not so much they either refuse to come out or hide under the coop.

Back
Top Bottom