post your chicken coop pictures here!

The ramps are attached at the top with a door hinge, the middle part is basically a "stool" I built.

The ramps fold up and the stool comes out for cleaning... I had to add more cross boards for grip because it ended up being steeper than I thought

That is a nifty idea for cleaning! Through trial and error I've found cleats/steps on the ramps are best placed at 3" apart. I once thought that was too close and made my second ramp with cleats 4" apart and it was too far apart. I have a leg-disabled Ameraucana that can't maneuver the 4" steps and our Silkies do better with 3" cleats. Because it was too steep we had to raise the incline of the ramp that came with our new coop by using cinderblocks at the bottom. We're thinking maybe to raise it even a little more:

My Girls Coop, been quite a project! Still need to install the nesting boxes

They love it under the coop, nice and shady

I love your kiddie pool idea for keeping the feeding mess contained from the rest of the coop floor. I even like the idea for our open backyard to keep the seeds/feed contained off the soil. We've been sprouting a lot of millet seeds
big_smile.png

Will there be enough room to collect eggs from under the coop? When chickens get broody they start looking for hiding places other than nestboxes to lay their eggs.

That is a nifty idea for cleaning! Through trial and error I've found cleats/steps on the ramps are best placed at 3" apart. I once thought that was too close and made my second ramp with cleats 4" apart and it was too far apart. I have a leg-disabled Ameraucana that can't maneuver the 4" steps and our Silkies do better with 3" cleats. Because it was too steep we had to raise the incline of the ramp that came with our new coop by using cinderblocks at the bottom. We're thinking maybe to raise it even a little more:

I love your kiddie pool idea for keeping the feeding mess contained from the rest of the coop floor. I even like the idea for our open backyard to keep the seeds/feed contained off the soil. We've been sprouting a lot of millet seeds
big_smile.png

Will there be enough room to collect eggs from under the coop? When chickens get broody they start looking for hiding places other than nestboxes to lay their eggs.
I moved the kiddie pool in the coop just because that's what they spent most of their lives in until moving into the coop, they seem to love it, but yeah it does keep the mess in the pool :) Good point on the hiding places, I can get under there but it requires to get dirty. Maybe i'll block part of it off once they start to lay, hopefully by Sept./Oct., fingers crossed

Well, my 120 pounds of feed every 3 or 4 weeks finally paid off! I got my first egg from the babies, a white one, small and white, probably a leghorn.

My grandson helps me collect the eggs and he carries a couple to the house. He was so excited to show Grandma he ran upstairs with it and after showing her he managed to drop it. All my profits down the drain :-(

Well, my 120 pounds of feed every 3 or 4 weeks finally paid off! I got my first egg from the babies, a white one, small and white, probably a leghorn.

My grandson helps me collect the eggs and he carries a couple to the house. He was so excited to show Grandma he ran upstairs with it and after showing her he managed to drop it. All my profits down the drain :-(

Kids
1f602.png
my sons first egg find is what my picture shows. Moments late he was attacked by the rooster (became dinner) and dropped it too.

Lolol, profits? I can only figure to break even selling eggs if I can find people to pay $10 a dozen.Still it would take years. Getting the first egg is always exciting and yes I too have dropped some from my new layers. You add new ones a few times a year and it still bums one out when they lay only to see it go splat

Profits? Ha ha ha, been there my wife was carrying a basketful of eggs and one of the hens jumped on it, she got startled and broke 16 of em. I had my share of putting eggs in my pockets and accidental bumping on doorways, so I got mayos in pocket
1f61c.png
. Took me 2 years before my hens paid for my coop.

Back
Top Bottom