post your chicken coop pictures here!

Originally Posted by KDOGG331
Some people also just fence in their yard and/or add coyote rollers at the top.

While we do have coyotes where I live those rollers will not stop the hawks, owls and eagles we have here. I prefer to cover the top of my run with a kennel panel.

The biggest problem here so far has been the small wild birds that can slip through the panel openings. For what it would cost me in chicken wire or bird netting I can purchase a pedestal feeder for $120 and still save money especially now that I'm planning on doubling their run space. I know it doesn't show in this pic however I have 1/2 inch hardware cloth extending 2 ft up and 2 ft out, for predator protection.

Took a lot of ideas from here. Here is my coop. I can water and feed from outside. I would like to add a outside run that they can go out in but we free range every evening after work. Just to many predators to leave out let alone. Also need to come up with a better door. This took 2 weekends to build about 400 in materials.

Here is a picture of the front. I have removable Windows and added a piece of metal that I can open on close on the top vent.

Greetings and welcome to BYC! Looks good, but a couple of comments... You really need much more/better ventilation; lower and higher. Ideally if you can open the entire upper portion between the studs and cover with hardware cloth under the roof overhang next to the one already existing vent, then open vents on the side walls between the studs maybe 8" above floor level (covered with hardware cloth), you'll accomplish a nice flow through ventilation to remove moisture and ammonia odors. They naturally rise and this will allow them to escape making for much more comfortable and healthy chickens.

Also, because the coop is elevated off the ground (I understand why), the chickens will want to tunnel under the coop for security and nesting as well as shade from hot sun/wet weather. Sadly, it also makes a nice hiding place for rats, mice, possums, coons, weasels, snakes, cats... well, you get the drift... You might consider digging a 18-24" deep trench all the way around and attaching hardware cloth to the base of the coop and burying it to form an exclusion "wall" to keep everything (including diggers) out from under there. Because of the concrete floor supports, digging around them might prove detrimental... alternatively, you could apron the hardware cloth out on the ground then place large rocks or pavers on top of it to hold it down/in place.

In regards to the height above ground of the venderbecks coop... They could use a car jack and some blocks of wood to lift each end of the house up and place some stacked concrete blocks beneath it. The building shouldn't be to difficult to raise up...if they decide to.

Ed

My coop will be similar to the one above. I'm going to put a skirting of hardware cloth around the front part that butts up to the run and place cinder blocks around the outer sides where I'll plant herbs that deture rats and snakes along with chicken treat plants. That might work for vanderbecks coop if they worry about rats or snakes. I went with the raised coop because we added a 3" gap along the inside for good floor ventilation. This gap we closed with hardware cloth and placed 2 1"x2" runs of wood that will act as a base for my poop cover I'm going to put in. I also saw the comment about top vents. If you look at my picture above you can see the gap that runs all around the coop. This will be covered with HCloth and the open area above it will have cloth as well as a fold down 1/8" cover that I can fold down in bad weather. Just some ideas that might help.

Last edited:
Here's our recently completed coop and covered run--a larger attached run is still in progress. We have a flock of 6 pullets: speckled sussex, buff orpington and easter egger. We live in a chicken friendly neighborhood in Austin, Texas.

Exterior with doors closed (a lock has since been added for extra security against critters)

Exterior side view, showcasing the covered run underneath the coop. And our flock guardian: Petunia. She likes to lie down next to the covered run and let the girls peck at her ears.

And lastly a view of the coop from our "chicken tv" viewing area. The next boxes are accessible by a sliding door and the rest of the upper portion is covered by a hardware cloth screen. There is a pop door in the floor of the coop that operates by cord and pulley and leads down to the covered run. The coop is in a shady spot in the yard to keep the central texas brutal summer temps as low as possible. Loads of venitlation in the coop and sand flooring helps too. As does frozen watermelon treats for the girls.

Back
Top Bottom