post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thanks for the info on food & water. I got some more done today I built most of the monitor portion of the building on the shop floor. I spent a lot of time making a frame for the door panel/window I am mounting on one side it will open and I will have a wire mesh screen over it. I also framed in a little window that opens adjacent to it. I cut my first rafters today and they seemed to come out pretty good I need to buy a sheet of some kind of plywood or OSB to make some bracing for the rafter tips I just have one screw holding them together for now to check fit, they are just sitting on top I have one made to space 24" on center. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Mike

Just like fireworks our first EGG arived!

We are adding 8 more feetof run tomorrow. Then just paint and the roof. Hopefully next week. The coop is 8x8 and the run including under the coop will be 8x24 tomorrow. I put feed and water in the coop at sunset before they go in and bring it out to run in am. I also feed ff in run in the am.

We are adding 8 more feetof run tomorrow. Then just paint and the roof. Hopefully next week. The coop is 8x8 and the run including under the coop will be 8x24 tomorrow. I put feed and water in the coop at sunset before they go in and bring it out to run in am. I also feed ff in run in the am.
its funny. They have the chicken door but prefer to use the big door. Lol

I'm not sure if my ventilation is sufficient. Listening to ya'll has made me wonder. It's not built tight, small gaps and cracks from lap siding. A seven inch window high and the sliding door that I don't shut at night. They'd be hard pressed to get frost bite here in the mountains of NC. The coop area is small 3x3x3, an additional 3x1 nesting box on the side, with a pitched roof. My concern is whether or not it's safe to leave the door into the coop open at night in the 20°'sF? solely because of draft?
Seems like you do want to be careful of cracks that could create drafts. How many chickens do you have in your coop? It looks like it could handle two comfortably. In this size coop you would want the ventilation in the very top of the coop so that it is above the chickens' heads. The trick is getting 1 square foot of vent area for each chicken...without creating a draft. Vents along the edge of the roof would be good along with a low roost. I would try to have enough upper ventilation so that I could close the door...for draft prevention and also predator protection.

Best wishes,
Ed

Thanks for the info on food & water. I got some more done today I built most of the monitor portion of the building on the shop floor. I spent a lot of time making a frame for the door panel/window I am mounting on one side it will open and I will have a wire mesh screen over it. I also framed in a little window that opens adjacent to it. I cut my first rafters today and they seemed to come out pretty good I need to buy a sheet of some kind of plywood or OSB to make some bracing for the rafter tips I just have one screw holding them together for now to check fit, they are just sitting on top I have one made to space 24" on center. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Mike
I know you said something to the effect that you weren't a carpenter, but by george you must've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for several nights!!! That's looking great, Mike!!!!!!

For those of you with a large hen house and separate run area do you feed & water in the hen house and run area with separate feed & water setups? I am still working on the hen house but I haven't got much done to take pictures.

Happy 4th and have a blessed day!!

Thanks Mike

Feeders kept in coops here but water is in and out. We turn the kids out to the yard every other day. Plus some of my run fence will let small sparrows get into the run.

Thanks for the info on food width: 500px; height: 281px">
[/URL]

I know you said something to the effect that you weren't a carpenter, but by george you must've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for several nights!!!  That's looking great, Mike!!!!!!

Looks good, just hope you plan to raise it. My back hurts thinking of that height. Hope you do not get bitten by chicken math!

Feeders kept in coops here but water is in and out. We turn the kids out to the yard every other day. Plus some of my run fence will let small sparrows get into the run.
Looks good, just hope you plan to raise it. My back hurts thinking of that height. Hope you do not get bitten by chicken math!

That part of the coop fits on top of this.

Feeders kept in coops here but water is in and out. We turn the kids out to the yard every other day. Plus some of my run fence will let small sparrows get into the run. Looks good, just hope you plan to raise it. My back hurts thinking of that height. Hope you do not get bitten by chicken math!
That part of the coop fits on top of this.
Ahhh! I see now. We did our rafters on the floor, then set them on the walls. No wonder I was confused!

A 5 gallon drywall compound bucket with a hole cut out of the top serves the same purpose and is likely free, just have to find a taper that has an empty. Put a cardboard box or two next to it to act as steps for the mice. Some BOSS in the bucket, maybe a few on top.

Thx for the input
smile.png
.. The only reason I was interested in the Best Mousetrap Ever brand bucket is that it takes less space than a 5-gallon bucket that I would have to hassle to build myself with a variety of tools we don't own. If it requires building it ourselves, we won't do it. The time saved in purchasing ready-made is worth it to us. That's why we don't hassle raising chicks either -- so much easier to start with bigger juveniles from the start and save ourselves space re brooders, time involved monitoring health, temperatures, cleanups, etc etc. As a retiree, time saved is as good as money earned in our particular case. Case in point, I was taking months and months of backbreaking weeding and leveling the backyard and it still looked like crap. Hired a professional Bobcat tractor driver and both back AND front yards were weeded and leveled and hauled away in a day!!!

SAMPLE OF UNEVEN OVERGROWN BACKYARD

CONTINUOUS WEED GROWTH IN 60 YRS BUILT UP DIRT 2 TO 3 FEET DEEP IN PARTS OF THE YARD. AND THERE WAS NO EFFECTIVE WAY OF USING WEED-KILLING POISONS BECAUSE OF THE FORAGING CHICKENS SO WEEDS WENT RAMPANT.

THERE WERE LEVELS IN THE YARD ANYWHERE FROM 1 FOOT TO 3 FEET UNEVEN NOT TO MENTION THE JUNKY TARPED CHAINLINK FENCE IN DESPERATE NEED OF REPLACING.

DAY ONE - BOBCAT TRACTOR & DRIVER ARRIVED RIGHT ON TIME AT 8:00 A.M.

VIEW OF NEIGHBOR'S BACKYARD WAS JUST AS OVERGROWN AS OUR OWN!

BOBCAT WHIZZED BY THE HOUSE SEVERAL TIMES CARRYING CHUNKS OF WEEDS AND DIRT AND LEVELING AT THE SAME TIME!

THIS IS THE MOST CLEAN & LEVEL WE EVER SAW THE BACKYARD.

EVEN USING ROTOTILLERS THERE'S NO WAY I COULD WEED THIS MUCH JUNK OUT OF THE FRONT OR BACK YARDS IN A YEAR LET ALONE JUST ONE DAY! PLUS THEY HAULED THIS DIRT & WEEDS AWAY TOO! CITY TRASH TRUCKS WON'T ACCEPT DIRT OR ROCKS ON TRASH DAYS!

Back
Top Bottom