Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
henk he is talking about the "autosomal recesseive" crem gene alone pressent on the American Araucana...

interesting enough, Punnett extracted the "cream" gene from a Chilean Araucana. and introduced it to the Crested Cream Legbars,

ps.
Henk stop comenting on my floor tiles, I need your genetic expertise(coments) on my newest chick that just hatched..
lol.png
Do Cream Legbars actually have the cream gene like the Cream Light Brown Dutch?

My choc/dun orps, project birds. Father was a chocolate hen was dun/choc. They are darker than I hoped but I think the F2's will be chocolate and dun with a possibility of khaki and another more rare color that evades me at the moment

Thanks for posting the photo's. I had wondered what a chocolate dun to a chocolate recessive would produce. I prefer them dark, maybe not so dark you can't tell them from black but I do prefer a dark chocolate color. The rooster seems to have green sheen in his tail feathers, wouldn't that indicate black?

Is the chocolate on the roosters darker chocolate on top and a little lighter on the bottom like the blue roosters? Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see what the chicks are like. It would "seem" the chicks would segregate back into recessive chocolate, chocolate dun and black. Keep us posted :)

Thanks for posting the photo's. I had wondered what a chocolate dun to a chocolate recessive would produce. I prefer them dark, maybe not so dark you can't tell them from black but I do prefer a dark chocolate color. The rooster seems to have green sheen in his tail feathers, wouldn't that indicate black?

Is the chocolate on the roosters darker chocolate on top and a little lighter on the bottom like the blue roosters? Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see what the chicks are like. It would "seem" the chicks would segregate back into recessive chocolate, chocolate dun and black. Keep us posted :)
They are dark, one hen is almost black. The cock is dark brown in the hackles and saddle and has a few black feathers in the tail (ugh) two of the hens are very dark brown. The person I got the eggs from got her birds from Korfus Kluckers and Julie Bachelor. The lightest brown is on the lower thighs. These guys are about 9 months old and will get more brown.

My choc/dun orps, project birds. Father was a chocolate hen was dun/choc. They are darker than I hoped but I think the F2's will be chocolate and dun with a possibility of khaki and another more rare color that evades me at the moment
Chocolate Australorps would be easier :)

They are dark, one hen is almost black. The cock is dark brown in the hackles and saddle and has a few black feathers in the tail (ugh) two of the hens are very dark brown. The person I got the eggs from got her birds from Korfus Kluckers and Julie Bachelor. The lightest brown is on the lower thighs. These guys are about 9 months old and will get more brown.
IF there is a single "true black" feathers anywhere, they are not recessive chocolate. I don't think a dun chocolate can have black either. If they have either gene that turns black into a chocolate color, there can't be any black feathers. The genes that make chocolate can't differentiate between feathers, they dilute them all to chocolate. Can you be certain there is no other gene or genes that could be present?
Are you sure about the "few black feathers in the tail"? You would know for sure if they have a green or purplish sheen. If they do, you may need to be searching for another reason they are brown.

Maybe Henk can explain it better......

Last edited:
IF there is a single "true black" feathers anywhere, they are not recessive chocolate. I don't think a dun chocolate can have black either. If they have either gene that turns black into a chocolate color, there can't be any black feathers. The genes that make chocolate can't differentiate between feathers, they dilute them all to chocolate. Can you be certain there is no other gene or genes that could be present?
Are you sure about the "few black feathers in the tail"? You would know for sure if they have a green or purplish sheen. If they do, you may need to be searching for another reason they are brown.

That is incorrect. Just as any bird with a double dose of blue can still have a weird, crop-out black feather in a beautiful tale of white, the same can happen with any other gene. To say that a single feather outcropping eliminates that entire gene is false. Please be careful when making statements like these.
I e- there can be "holes" in genes. Within a white bird there are genetics for other colors, it's just that the white is dominant over the other colors. However, if there is a "hole" in the white, the underlaying color will peek through. That does not mean the bird is no longer white. It has a fault. Why do you think there are "paint" birds, horses,etc? A spotted horse has the dominant white color covering it's base coat. The holes create a pattern of spots and allows the base coat to show through. Same with an oddball black feather showing through the covering chocolate, blue, etc gene.
Again, please be careful with this statement. This statement is repeated throughout the forums and it simply isn't true and is misleading to new people trying to learn genetics.

Last edited:
IF there is a single "true black" feathers anywhere, they are not recessive chocolate. I don't think a dun chocolate can have black either. If they have either gene that turns black into a chocolate color, there can't be any black feathers.

while this is true for sex linked chocolate(they can have very dark almost black feathers, here and there, but not true black feathers). this is not so with Dun(I^D/I+), why? well dun its an allele of Dominant white(I/I) this allele is known for its leakeness, it leaks pheomelanin and eumelanin.. this is not the case with recessive Chocolate or recessive white.

That is incorrect. Just as any bird with a double dose of blue can still have a weird, crop-out black feather in a beautiful tale of white, the same can happen with any other gene. To say that a single feather outcropping eliminates that entire gene is false. Please be careful when making statements like these.
you are Also incorrect assuming Splash Blue(Bl/Bl or blue Bl/bl+) acts or will act like recessive "sex linked" Chocolate. because it does not. your statements are too broad. be carful when making statements like these..

let me know if you wish to engage in a genetic debate with me. I´m eager to do so,

Back
Top Bottom