Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally! Charlotte, our Black Australorp (23 weeks old), laid her first egg. The egg on the left is from the Black Australorp, and the egg on the left is from our Red-Sex Link, Hazel, who has been laying for about five weeks now (started at 18 weeks old).

Hazel hasn't missed a day yet! I believe we are going on 36 eggs in a row... :)

36!!! Wow, that's fantastic! Sometimes when I go into one of the coops I ask "Who's turn is it to pay the rent?" My best layer lays 4 days in a row, and then takes a day off. Maybe I should get RSLs to fill in the gaps! The majority of my flock is 4 months old and not laying yet, so I'm just impatient, lol.
Congrats!

36!!! Wow, that's fantastic! Sometimes when I go into one of the coops I ask "Who's turn is it to pay the rent?" My best layer lays 4 days in a row, and then takes a day off. Maybe I should get RSLs to fill in the gaps! The majority of my flock is 4 months old and not laying yet, so I'm just impatient, lol.
Congrats!
Haha. Yeah, the rent isn't going to pay itself, right?

I know, right! Haha! At first we were completely shocked, but now I'm afraid we'll be disappointed not to get an egg from her! She's definitely raised the bar of egg-laying expectations!

We're still waiting for our Ameracauna to lay... I can't wait for those blue/green eggs! :)

Not sure who laid it. Found in the middle of the coop floor today. Nest boxes apparently are not good enough. I'll have to work on that.

LOL! So true! I just brought some new girls home last week. One tested several boxes, then hollowed out a place in the sand to lay her first for me the day after I got her. Since then she has laid an egg every day, but now she's using the boxes, yay! Now if I can just get the new girls in the other coop to use them, lol. Do you have any golf balls or fake eggs in the boxes? That may help.

Last edited:
LOL! So true! I just brought some new girls home last week. One tested several boxes, then hollowed out a place in the sand to lay her first for me the day after I got her. Since then she has laid an egg every day, but now she's using the boxes, yay! Now if I can just get the new girls in the other coop to use them, lol. Do you have any golf balls or fake eggs in the boxes? That may help.

Yes, I have golf balls in 2 of the 3 boxes. I haven't put a roof over the boxes yet though and they do get some droppings in them. I think that is the problem, as well as having shredded paper in them. I know they are not too high since I watched a bunch of them easily hop up on the edge of the box. The top of the front is only about 16" from the shavings (at the most, I haven't measured it really LOL)

These pictures are of the first egg from our flock. The dark brown egg is a commercial large egg for size comparison. I already posted these in other threads, but just saw this thread.

FINALLY got the first egg @ 21 weeks, After the heat wave here in Missouri finally let up! Not sure who did it, but I was so excited to find it!
wee.gif

Compared with regular Large egg from the store.

wee.gif

Finally got my first egg today and it only cost $6000!! I'm sure it was my Black Australorp, Aretha (21 weeks), because she's got the most developed wattles and comb, and has been making a racket for the past month. She wasn't singing "R-E-S-P-E-C-T", either, but she sure earned some today!! She even laid it in the nest box, between the 2 dummy eggs. I could see that she'd scratched around in both boxes, pushing the straw aside until the wood bottom was exposed, then chose the one most to her liking. Now that she's unburdened herself, she's been quiet all afternoon. Sadly, I wasn't home to hear the egg song. Hopefully, I'll hear it plenty in the upcoming months and years.

It's tiny, but it's perfect and the shell is good and solid.

That's one biddy down and six more to go!!

Last edited:

These are the my first eggs!! I found these 4 in a little nest they made for themselves on the floor of the coop in the shavings... I had hay in their nest boxes, so we took that out and put shavings in... Later that day, I found...

2 more eggs!!!

That was last Friday and I didn't find any more until I found 1 yesterday in one of the nest boxes...
I have 6 buff orpingtons, 2 black australorps, and 4 production reds. I have NO idea which ones are laying. I suspect maybe the production reds because I saw one of them inspecting the nest boxes yesterday...
We are so excited to be getting eggs! They are 4 months old now... It's fun to go into the coop and look for the eggs... Kind of a let down when there aren't any though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom