Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One or two of my hens started laying this week! I was so excited I ran in the house to call my husband!

I knew they should be starting soon, but I havent checked on them for a week or so. I went out the other day and found 6 eggs! 5 in one nest, 1 in the other.

Ive seen a a black australorp hen on the nest. I have also seen a mutt hen and rooster mating. Not sure who is laying other than a BA for sure.

I have 12 chickens, and 5 of them are roosters. I RIR hen, 5 BA hens, and 1 Mutt hen. Will post pics.

We currently have 10 inches of snow on the ground in NW Wisconsin. And I'm not set up for baby chicks or separating hens froms roos. We got our chickens from a guy up the road from us this past July and August. So we just set up a small coop with a yard. The yard is now covered in snow and is not covered. The deer keep jumping in to eat the scratch grains I throw out. We intended on butchering before the snow fell, but we got 4 inches before thanksgiving and it never melted. We had to lean plywood up against the coop walls to prevent drifting snow.

Do you think it's ok to let the hen lay on the eggs even if its not really set up properly for chicks? I have candled and a few are fertile.

My husband and I are planning our chicken coop to build in the spring. With a side for laying hens only (unfertilized eggs) and then another side that we can mix roos and hens. He even said he would build me a room to use as a little hatchery!

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

One of my lavender orps finally layed an egg! These girls are 26 weeks old. I had them figured on starting to lay a month ago. But I don't supplement light so a little longer wait can be expected.
60651_101_2272.jpg

Lucy, my Delaware, laid her first egg today. It was completely unexpected since she has a tiny comb that isn't the least bit red yet. It was speckledy (is that a word?).

60454_lucys_speckled_egg.jpg

And Lovely Lucy (named for Lucille Ball, "Lucy Raises Chickens").

60454_lucy_eggday.jpg

1st egg on CHRISTMAS DAY..
44740_love_008.jpg

44740_love_007.jpg

What a great Christmas gift 1 of my girls laid her 1st holiday egg around 1pm on the blessed day...

Last edited:
These were our first two eggs from Beatrice, our Barred Rock. The second one she layed was a double yolker!

This gal started laying in September and has laid 6 eggs a week ever since!!!
studsmatta.gif

39619_beatrice_first_eggs.jpg

Finally... our first egg arrived!!.... Born end of July 2010 and had the first egg on December 30, 2010... What a surprise!!

Sorry no pics, but I bet you all know what an egg looks like...HaHa.. anyway, it is very small, my hen is a Silkie named Misty.

Omlet for breakfast....

I was totally shocked to see my GLW in the nesting box. I know January is just a day away but I was expecting her to lay later in January. She layed a tiny pink looking egg, 1.2oz, smallest so far out of our 13. I had started to get use to the tiny to barely small dark brown eggs my Cuckoo Marans were laying, now one shocked me with a large to ex-large size today.

Shannon

Picture taken with the store bought white eggs.
65421_dsc01261.jpg

First big egg.
65421_dsc01259.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom