Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh... Custard sounds good!!!! I have never made it though. Anyone have a recipe they love and would be willing to share?

Our BCM graced us with a very noisy day prior to leaving us with this beauty in the nesting box :). Our Ameracauna's first eggs were half this size.... No wonder she was loud!!! I am guessing they will even up in color as everything gets working better for her. I can't imagine them getting bigger though!!
sy2ybe4u.jpg

I think I'd be noisey if I was about to lay an egg that big, too. OUCH!

Ooh... Custard sounds good!!!! I have never made it though. Anyone have a recipe they love and would be willing to share?

Custard is easy peasy! Starting out, use the following recipe. If your custard cups are large and will hold more, you can add another egg and/or some more milk (1/3 - 1/2 C). It's not sensitive to amounts.

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a saucepan, heat 2 C milk to scalding (hot but not boiling). In a batter bowl or 4 C measuring cup (something with a lip for pouring), beat 2 eggs with a whisk or fork. Add 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 tsp. good Vanilla (not imitation), and just a small pinch of salt. Stir in well. Slowly (so the eggs don't scramble) add scaled milk and blend all well.

Place 4 custard cups in a shallow pan of hot water that comes about 1/3 -1/2 way up the cups. Pour custard into custard cups. Dust tops with freshly grated nutmeg (optional). Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Last edited:
This is a really good recipe to try for lots of eggs too. It takes a little more effort, but it will knock your socks off!

Coconut Flan
Ingredients for 8 servings:
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cans (13.5 fluid ounces each) coconut milk
  • 1 can (14 ounces) NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract
  • Whipped cream
  • Toasted flaked sweetened coconut
Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
HEAT sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until dissolved and caramel-colored. Pour onto bottom of 9-inch-round cake pan; quickly swirl around bottom to coat.
PLACE coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and coconut extract in blender; cover. Blend for 5 seconds. Pour into prepared pan; cover lightly with foil. Place pan in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with warm water to about 1-inch depth.
BAKE for 1 hour, 25 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove flan from water. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
TO SERVE, run small spatula around edge of pan. Invert serving plate over pan. Turn over; shake gently to release. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes.

Our first eggs from Patience! She drooped the 2nd one while I was holding her and it didn't break!

I got my first egg yesterday. It is a tiny little green egg. I have it next to a medium store bought egg for comparison! LOL I'm not sure which hen did the deed, but my girl Carol was acting a bit strange yesterday, so I am thinking it was her. I was so excited to find this in the box and was so careful not to drop it. Its a good thing there was no one around with a camera. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom