Post your opinion

An afterthought
tongue.png

After reading Illia's post, I felt it necessary for me to also say that quality of parent stock might dictate whether mutts or purebreds are best. For instance, a chicken may be purebred but poorbred, i.e. they may be 100% such-n-such breed, but because of poor stewardship they have pinched tails, poor feathering, crooked beaks, etc. On the other hand, a mutt with good ancestry might be better than a poorbred purebred because the mutt may have beautiful feathering, a perfect tail, a beak that is straight as an arrow, etc. I'd much rather keep mutts that are of good quality than purebreds that are not.

I said what I said before with the assumption that both mutts and purebreds were well-bred. In such a case, I would prefer the standardized over the nonstandardized.

~Gresh~

I actually prefer the mutts, when you mix them up you come out with all sorts of colors and variations of colors. Right now most of mine are muuts, but I'm about to change that because I want to start raising pure breds as close to the sop as possible. My chickens are my hobby but if I can sell a few along the way to help with the feed bill that would be great.

The only ones that I'm going to keep for now are my Easter Egger (some call them mutts) and my Polish. The Polish are going to be mixed iin with the EE's to make some crested EE's.

I'm not sure what I'll get to replace the others in my herd, just gonna use them for eggs right now.

Back
Top Bottom