Post your ''Other'' Uses for feed bags

And to think I have been burning mine.
barnie.gif
I am going to start saving them and then get my sewing maching back up and running. Gosh it's been ages since I sewed but looking forward to starting on some shopping bags.

Agh, I just found this thread and I LOVE all the bag examples :). I've been making tote bags for anyone and everyone and I love them. Recently I got a serger and decided to try a few super fast and easy grocery bags. They're unlined so they're done in a jiff. The hardest part was trying to figure out what to do for the bottoms to keep them from sagging. Everywhere online said cardboard, but the whole point of having a bag that's easy to clean for groceries is not to deal with something that can hold on to germs and get soggy. So duh, finally I realized I could use a few scraps from the bag to enclose a piece of cardboard and wha-la, support and easy to clean. I use one feed bag per bag, the dog food bags I have to clean out with a clorox wipe before using to get rid of the grease.

My very first bag, 6 years later it's still in use, but it has been retired to a crochet project bag for light duty
tongue.png

I love the design on this sunflower bag, it was perfect for my mom.

I made quite a few bags and zipped coin pouches for coworkers.

For a friend with breast cancer, I used the special pink released bags and some pink ribbon fabric lining.

This is our library book bag, a little wider than most of my bags, it has no problem hauling books :)!

My son wanted a backpack so I found a perfect pattern online and used every possible piece of a rabbit food bag to make it.

All of the teachers and daycare providers we've had have been given a bag, I figure with the stuff they tote around a sturdy bag would help.

I also know teachers love pockets, so I try to put one in every teacher bag.

I finally made myself a new bag :), not sure why I made the straps so long on this bag ...

I went for a zipped pocket for me, it was pretty easy to add.

My first attempt at quick and easy grocery bags with a serger, I LOVE them.

I matched the dimensions to a Krogers reusable bag, it worked out perfectly to use up all the feed bag in one go.

My second try, I did not measure twice cut once on that Layer bag, it's an inch too short and drives me nuts.

But I figured out the bottoms! Now it can hold a ton of cans and not sag!

The bottom inserts, they're also serged so after cutting it took all of 2 min to enclose them. I love anything fast
ya.gif

OK, sorry for all the pictures, but I'm just a bag fan. I would love to try some messenger bags, but I'm not sure I could make them look good enough. I've got a ton of bags piled up (literally, like 50+ bags) so I have plenty to practice with!

I use them to store hay. I can buy a bale of hay for $3. But, I don't often use a whole bale in the coop at once, so I stuff the flakes into feed bags to keep them nice and dry/clean. Then, I can grab a single bag at a time, fluff up the nests, toss some on the floor of the coop, or out in the snow for the chicken's entertainment. Those tarp like bags are on my "never throw it away" list.

I use them for all kinds of stuff, garbage bag in coop shed, sunshades on coop windows, along bottoms of mesh coop walls to keep bedding in the coop and out the rest of the shed.

I sewed a large bag (straw bale size) to hold a bale from spreading all over the shed after the twine is cut.
Can grab a flake or two and the rest stays contained in the 'bag'.

Some artists friends cut and sew them into strips and weave baskets with them.
I plan on trying the cut and sew into strips technique to replace the broken webbing on my lawn chairs.

I took several empty feed sacks and stuffed them with straw and stapled them closed. Then I toss them into the run for the chickens to lounge on.
Who would have thought chickens would enjoy plush cushions to lie about on?

Hubby just made a roof to go over the nest box to keep the youngsters from sleeping on the edge of the top boxes. It's set at a 45* angle, and lined with the tarp type feed bags to make for a slippery surface to shed both poop and youngsters!

Washer drain pipe ruptured at my sons so I took some insulation I had and feed bagged it for a water barrier, before placing it between the pipe and walls, in case any issues arise later.

That will help keep it dry so it doesn't mold should it get wet.

Back
Top Bottom