Post your ''Other'' Uses for feed bags

Here's the link for the directions:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/i...n_feed_sack_into_a_reusable_shopping_bag.html

NOTE: Instead of using a 2nd bag for the handles/straps, using the scraps I cut from the bag, I made 2 16" straps instead of 1 32" and cutting it in half. (Step 6)

I've got this down to a science, I can cut/sew and finish 2 in just over 1 hour.

Have fun!

I'm working on different styles now.

Post your pictures when done, I'd love to see them.

Quote:
There is a lady in our area (Grays Harbor county, Washington State)
who uses these bags to make totes just like yours. She sells them as
a fund-raiser for Run For the Cure, the breast cancer charity. (Race for the Cure???)
I lost her phone number - if anyone has it will you please email me?
I have a stack of feed bags ready to go!!!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

The bags are good for stuffing your chickens into when you take them to the village to sell or trade. Sorry, I don't get out of the holler too much.
lol.png

I don't have any pics, but I've discovered a new use. Planter cups and flats.

I use a stainless steel drink shaker cup, as the form for the planter cups. I cut the sacks open and cut them into about 8"x13" rectangles.
I roll them around the form and with a couple of dabs of hot glue, secure the long side. Then, I fold the bottom in, and glue it, in a couple of places.

They are much deeper than the small ones, which commercial nurseries use, retain moisture far longer and allow the seedling to grow larger, without crowding the roots. Because of the cone shape, roots don't have to be disturbed during transplant.

As for the flats, I leave them intact and cut them about 11" long. I built a couple of wood forms, to fold them on. Dog food bags are not the same size as chicken feed bags.

I pull them over the form, cut the corners, and hotglue the bottom...Don't be shy with the glue, here, because they take a lot of weight.

I roll the top edge down, to form a lip and cut some small bamboo and secure it under the folded down lip, with hotglue. This gives the container rigidity and also acts as handles. They end up being about 6"x14" and can accomodate 12 of the planter cups. I also use them for starting the seedings, because they are about 5" deep and can give the seedlings a good start, before transplanting to the cups or into the ground.

mine are the plastic type and i find they make good tarps, trash bags and such. some other things that come to mind are poop board covers, poop hammocks, maybe used as that house wrap kind of stuff, they can be used to bundle firewood.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom