Post Your Predator Guns Below

Scopes don't block light unless you have a garbage scope. They collect what light is available. You shine a light on the target and aim through the scope, works just fine. What good is a laser sight if you can't see the target in the dark?

even $10,000 nikon/cannon camera lens block light. nothing is for free. those lens have openings of inches, my f2.8 lens is about 5 inches. my eyes can see way better than looking with a scope and i dont have to give up perf vision.

plus i have a light near the coop so all i need to see is where the bullet is going. now if i was hunting in the pirch dark a low power scope and night vison would be the way to go, assuming you can afford it.

Quote:
even $10,000 nikon/cannon camera lens block light. nothing is for free. those lens have openings of inches, my f2.8 lens is about 5 inches. my eyes can see way better than looking with a scope and i dont have to give up perf vision.

plus i have a light near the coop so all i need to see is where the bullet is going. now if i was hunting in the pirch dark a low power scope and night vison would be the way to go, assuming you can afford it.

exactly, you have a light, if you don't flip the light on by your coop can you see your target well enough to identify what you are putting your laser dot on? I doubt it. If you have a light you can see perfectly well through a scope, that is why people mount spotlights on varmint rifles for night hunting, I am not talking about shooting a coon in your backyard I am talking about shooting some distance with a rifle to kill a coyote or fox, for that you need a light to find the animal or a laser designator and a scope to take aim, it works fine, I have shot under a light with a scope for years, using a laser sight in pitch black where you cannot see your target doesn't work, you would need to shine a light on the target so you could see it then take aim with the laser, essentially doing the same thing as using a scope. Yes there are many options ranging into the thousands of dollars which most of us are not going to purchase for occasional use, I am talking about methods that work and are far more affordable, like a simple flashlight and scope.

At my deer stand if it is nearing evening you cannot see a iron sight against a deer's body, if you look through a scope you can aim far more clearly with what light is available.

I am going to look that one up! Had not heard of that or I call it something else.

David

ETA: that's basically the same thing mine is. The one I have says it will light out to 250 yds. but after about 175 yds it is hard to determine exactly what the critter is.

Now thermal imaging is the cats meow.
wink.png
. Have you seen Jaeger Pro in action. That would be fun!!!

The laser designator would work great for you in Texas, where I am they would be iffy in winter, by what I have read they don't hold up well to cold temps as far as battery life goes, they are a little pricey but a far cheaper option than a night vision setup, I'd like to mount one on top of my 22-250 and do some night coyote calling

Quote:

exactly, you have a light, if you don't flip the light on by your coop can you see your target well enough to identify what you are putting your laser dot on? I doubt it. If you have a light you can see perfectly well through a scope, that is why people mount spotlights on varmint rifles for night hunting, I am not talking about shooting a coon in your backyard I am talking about shooting some distance with a rifle to kill a coyote or fox, for that you need a light to find the animal or a laser designator and a scope to take aim, it works fine, I have shot under a light with a scope for years, using a laser sight in pitch black where you cannot see your target doesn't work, you would need to shine a light on the target so you could see it then take aim with the laser, essentially doing the same thing as using a scope. Yes there are many options ranging into the thousands of dollars which most of us are not going to purchase for occasional use, I am talking about methods that work and are far more affordable, like a simple flashlight and scope.

At my deer stand if it is nearing evening you cannot see a iron sight against a deer's body, if you look through a scope you can aim far more clearly with what light is available.

any thing over 50 yards ill just get my (w/ nikon M308 scope) .308 an splatter it all over the field................ soo as our coons see light around here they scatter.......

come to think of it i have not seen coon in barm since we got our goats....... weird

Savage .17 HMR with 3 x 9 scope with a big objective lens (for low light situations).

Quiet, deadly accurate, and will stop most any small varmint with one shot.

Tried a fancy .22 air rifle - just not accurate enough for me.

and you can find ammo for it !!!! i finally found some 22.LR !!!

Savage .17 HMR with 3 x 9 scope with a big objective lens (for low light situations).

Quiet, deadly accurate, and will stop most any small varmint with one shot.

Tried a fancy .22 air rifle - just not accurate enough for me.
The really fancy .22 air rifles should be giving you sub MOA groups. Some of them are hard to learn to shoot, though, it's different than firearms.

That .17 will pack a whole lot more punch though.

A .22 scoped bolt action stays in the barn for yard pests. With .22 CBEE rounds it will not penetrate the barn walls so it's fairly safe even for use on the occasional possum or other pest inside. With a throw of the bolt, a HV hollow point is loaded for more formidable pests outside at longer range. I have dumped a coyote at 100+ yards. It's an accurate rifle.

When I go on offense against the coyotes in the neighborhood I use my .280 rem built on a Mauser 98 action. With my standard 145gr Speer GS deer load it's still pretty easy on fur but I have to be extra careful which direction I shoot. When I set up to call in the back swamp, my wife usually goes with armed with the Ithaca 37 12 GA pump and 3" BB Hevi shot goose loads for any that come charging in close. It throws a tight pattern and really rolls a coyote to 60 yards or so. Picked up a .22-250 last fall for use in predator hunting. Less concern about the shot carrying too far with a 50 gr frangible bullet, but I was never able to get acceptable accuracy out of it. It is now at the gunsmith being rebarreled to 6.5 Swedish for use as a match rifle.

My most effective tool for local predator control is the steel trap though. Every fall/early winter I do a number on the local mink, raccoon, fox and coyote population. I typically use a 1 1/2 or 11 longspring for water sets and a 4 coil #2 Bridger double jaw where coyotes may be encountered. Good stout trap, holds even the toughest coyote with solid staking or a good drag.

I prefer .22 magnum, has punch and range, cartridges cheap and easy to find. Can also get rat shot which is ideal for snakes, or doing your meat birds in

Back
Top Bottom