Post Your Predator Guns Below

I would not post pics of my guns on a public forum anyway!!
wink.png

David

I know I sure wouldn't with all the government crack downs on guns do you really want the world knowing if you have one or not??? Plus a big dog can normally keep predators out.

Just got time to read the bit about night shooting. When I had a friend with coonhounds I did A LOT of night hunting for coons before he moved to ND to make oilfield money.

My setup was a .22 boltgun with a cheap 4x scope with a largish 40mm objective and see-thru mounts. With a 500k cp spotlight, illuminating the target I could make out the crosshairs and coon to the top of the tallest cottonwood. I also had a small LED penlight with a pressure switch taped to the side of the receiver in such a way that the dim green glow would illuminate the iron sights well enough for a shot without ruining my night vision if the coon was positioned such that illumination with the spotlight was impossible. I etched the lens with some sandpaper to make the light dimmer to just illuminate the sights. A small dab of fluorescent paint on the front sight aided in aiming also. Laser sights are specifically prohibited for hunting under MN law so I have never tried them. I do have one on one of my handguns for home defense. It's pretty fun for knocking cans around in the backyard with.

Just got time to read the bit about night shooting. When I had a friend with coonhounds I did A LOT of night hunting for coons before he moved to ND to make oilfield money.

My setup was a .22 boltgun with a cheap 4x scope with a largish 40mm objective and see-thru mounts. With a 500k cp spotlight, illuminating the target I could make out the crosshairs and coon to the top of the tallest cottonwood. I also had a small LED penlight with a pressure switch taped to the side of the receiver in such a way that the dim green glow would illuminate the iron sights well enough for a shot without ruining my night vision if the coon was positioned such that illumination with the spotlight was impossible. I etched the lens with some sandpaper to make the light dimmer to just illuminate the sights. A small dab of fluorescent paint on the front sight aided in aiming also. Laser sights are specifically prohibited for hunting under MN law so I have never tried them. I do have one on one of my handguns for home defense. It's pretty fun for knocking cans around in the backyard with.
We mostly used large flashlights for coon hunting, some had hat mounted spotlights but I found that wasn't really necessary to have to carry all that battery around just to shine a coon. Laser sights for hunting are illegal here too but I'm not sure if they're illegal for coon or predator hunting, sometimes we have different laws for game animals than for varmints. A laser designator is legal however, it is not a laser sight so much as a wide laser beam which is used in place of a spotlight, they're pretty neat I would like to try one out

That elusive wildlife scope mounted light I have has a green beam and the yotes and fox don't see it at all!! Coons do seem to see it somewhat and the deer definitely see it!

David

I carry a fully loaded Baxter at all times. It might be small and a little fat, but it packs a punch. Also, it's report is deafening.

As backup, I also tote the sleek Isabel. It's big enough to have that intimidation factor, and it has a higher rate of velocity than the Baxter.

When I need a bit of stealth, I employ the Jack. It is equipped with a silencer and laser beams in it's eyes. It is usually used for lighter work.

(I can't discharge a firearm in Colorado Springs city limits unless I fear for my personal safety, or I am marching in a sanctioned military parade.)

Last edited:
Pretty simple side by side 12 GA. Loaded with #7 dove loads. I don't have to worry about missing or a rifle bullet going who knows where.
Now if its a coyote or fox the traps come out cause I am not shooting a rifle where I am at.
For hunting coyotes the little .22 is used, for wolves .280 Rem. and everything else the kids and I shoot with arrows from our longbows.

I carry a fully loaded Baxter at all times. It might be small and a little fat, but it packs a punch. Also, it's report is deafening.

As backup, I also tote the sleek Isabel. It's big enough to have that intimidation factor, and it has a higher rate of velocity than the Baxter.

When I need a bit of stealth, I employ the Jack. It is equipped with a silencer and laser beams in it's eyes. It is usually used for lighter work.

(I can't discharge a firearm in Colorado Springs city limits unless I fear for my personal safety, or I am marching in a sanctioned military parade.)

Sounds like us, we have enough animals, and roosters to keep the predators at bay.

Passive (gen 2 or 3) and active IR illuminating (gen 1) night vision optics and sighting devices are also illegal in MN for all hunting. You cannot even have a device in possession while posessing a firearm or bow in the field other than a legal CCW piece with permit. Check your laws before you drop any change on these kind of toys. Local game warden told me even some higher end camera phones and digital cameras would be illegal to possess while hunting.

Sorry for the sniper jargon, google it if it doesn't make sense. Old habits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom