Potential brain damage from hypothermia? Please help diagnose this Turkey!

Pics
How is she today? :fl
Doing well! She’s been outside with the other birds all afternoon and still has a wobble to her gait but all in all has yet to ‘shut down’ or exhibit any of the super limiting behavior from yesterday. She can jump up and drop down without crashing over now, and I even saw her preening today!
I’m still not sure if she can stay the night outside (it’s 57 with a low of 43) but her recovery is almost done, I’d say.

Great! Do you have a food scale that you can weigh her on each day? I have found weighing a sick one daily will tell me if my treatment is going in the right direction. At her age she should be make daily weight gains, so if not gaining, or losing, one must reevaluate treatment.

Great! Do you have a food scale that you can weigh her on each day? I have found weighing a sick one daily will tell me if my treatment is going in the right direction. At her age she should be make daily weight gains, so if not gaining, or losing, one must reevaluate treatment.
We’ve been weighing her using a human weight scale by finding the difference of my weight vs weight when I’m holding her. I will go get her and weigh her in a moment.

Give her some time. I stand to be corrected, but other than some steroids and maybe some fluids you can inject under the skin, I cannot imagine what the vet could do in this situation. She will either get better or she won't. Good nursing counts for a lot.

She just registered as 7.0 lbs as opposed to Saturday’s 7.1. Her physical condition/coordination/maneuverability has improved significantly, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if the strain of recovering stopped weight gain?

She just registered as 7.0 lbs as opposed to Saturday’s 7.1. Her physical condition/coordination/maneuverability has improved significantly, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if the strain of recovering stopped weight gain?
7.1 to 7 is only 45 grams, so I wouldn't be too worried yet. If you can, go to Target or Wal-Mart and get a kitchen scale capable of weighing up to 5 kg. I suggest this because they are more accurate than the human scales.
Edited to add:
This is what I use for most birds under 4.5 kg:
scale_4.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom