Potential Forage Importance of Small Trees as Potential

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I am starting to shift paddocks enclosed by electrified poultry netting from a prairie pasture to a wooded pasture. New location is dominated by small trees, most less than 12 feet tall, and larger shrubs pushing 5 feet. Plant based forages clearly are going to be inferior but that may be more than compensated for by increased abundance of insect forages. Whip-poor-wills and poor-wills favor such areas big time and now I see why. Larger moths and beetles are incredibly abundant. Birds will consume most by middle of day and the insects will be replenished each night as insects resume moving about. Area will also be better against heat stress.

My chickens have the choice to be in the open or under the fruit trees. They spend almost all day under the fruit trees, when they have foliage.

I have also given them a small area near the coop with overhead netting and they do go there quite often. I have some shrubs in that area they prefer to be under.

I think your plan sounds good. They will benefit from the deep shade as well.

First image is of prairie type area used for free-ranging bisected by perimeter hotwire fence. To upper right is end of an electrified poultry netting stretch being setup. Mowed area so closely cut that mosses are thriving.

Woodland area expanding into.

Inside of new paddock.

Border cut through trees.

Border cut through poison ivy an other low shrubs.

Back
Top Bottom