Potential problem of mealworms?

Johnny829

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
Hi guys,
I started my mealworm farm three weeks ago. I bought 500 medium size mealworms and feed them wheat bran and fresh carrots. They have been doing pretty good so far and I've only lost two of them until today. Most of them used to hang out in the center of the bin or where I put carrots. But I realized a few days ago that most of them preferred to stay in the corners and sides of the bin.

This has been going for a few days but they still seem to be happy and healthy. I can basically collect a few pupaes every day and no mealworm is dying. I'm sure there is no mold in wheat bran or carrots. I check them every day and make sure they're dry. There're enough holes in that Sterile bin for ventilation and the bin gives enough space for 500 mealworms. I just wonder why this is happening or if this may lead to some potential problems. Any thoughts? Thank you.

As they prepare to pupate they tend to gravitate to the edges and become less active and less drawn to feed/hydrate
Okay thanks. This makes sense. It’s been about three weeks after I got them and I do get pupaes regularly now. I just hope there’s no potential problem to them.

Mine love banana peels.. they eat the flesh on the inside of the skin, and then use the remainder as a hidey hole.
I give them banana peels when I can. And yes they love it a lot. It's just they only get them when I eat them. And I don't give them tunnels or hidey holes because my understanding is that they use those to hide from the light or sunshine. I keep mine in a darkened closet and there's no light unless I turn lights on. So I don't see the point of giving them paper rolls or something.

Back
Top Bottom