Potential toxic plants

Grayfeather22

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2021
Does anyone know if any of these plants are toxic to chickens?
1)Asparagus fern
2)sword fern
3)jade plant
4)Lavender scallops
I cant find a definite answer anywhere!
One of my chickens died unexpectedly overnight. Very sad šŸ˜¢ so i am inspecting my yard for any potential toxins.
Thanks for your help

Given sufficient feed (full feeders), a chicken is unlikely to eat something that would hurt it.
If they don't have feed available and the crop is empty, they'll eat something so that could be something that may be harmful.
There are many things that can kill a chicken suddenly with no symptoms.
The best bet is to send the carcass to your poultry lab for necropsy.
Where are you located?

Given sufficient feed (full feeders), a chicken is unlikely to eat something that would hurt it.
If they don't have feed available and the crop is empty, they'll eat something so that could be something that may be harmful.
There are many things that can kill a chicken suddenly with no symptoms.
The best bet is to send the carcass to your poultry lab for necropsy.
Where are you located?
I live in California and i found out too late i could of sent her to uc davis :(

Did your chicken have some secretion or small amount of liquid coming out of the beak when you found her?
No nothing out of her beak at all no symptoms of any kind. She was her normal self when she went to bed at 7pm active eating drinking pecking around and even pecking at the other chickens, by 8 am the next am she was dead. šŸ˜­

Yes sword fern not poisonous. I have a large one my girls peck and eat constantly and they are fine.

But I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you can figure out what caused it.
šŸ˜­ is the worse not knowing. Thank you for the reply is driving nuts but at least i know it wasnā€™t something she ate like the ferns i have.

Back
Top Bottom